The Group

Animalia- 1492

     The Queen gazes out of the window, a long sigh escaping her lips. Her honey hair whipping out behind her as a harsh breeze flows through the window. The war is still raging.

     It started, more than a year ago. The famine, the war, the destruction of her kingdom. Why did this have to begin while she was Queen? Her father, may he rest in peace, surely would have known what to do. He would have been able to stop this bloodshed and save her beloved kingdom.

    But, things do not always work out the way they should. Letting out a shaky breath, she knows what she must do. The old crone had been quite clear when she had stated what must be done to end the anger, the hurt, the depression.

 A life of royalty must be taken from each side.

      Exiting her room, the Queen quickly moves through the palace halls, not worried that she will be heard. Fore, every spare guard, every spare man apart from certain slaves, are out fighting. Defending their kingdom.  Sacrificing themselves.

    Calling her six servants, her six closest companions, she begins gathering a plan.

     If everything is to be ended, that means that the war, the strife, the anguish, will all be ended. But, crones are known for their trickery. What if this doesn't end everything? What of it only makes matters worse for her family, her kingdom?

    Knowing that she has no other choice, she stands up tall. No longer distraught  over what must happen. It is for the good of her country. Putting her plan into action, she orders her most loyal servant Rosie to gather her daughter and a bag of her belongings.

    Rosie, does as she is told and when she returns, she is followed by the other five, Liam, Chase, Harmony, Alyss, and Belle. Her daughter Adriana is wrapped up warmly in Rosie's arms. The six that are to run from the castle while she takes care of the war.

    Giving her final orders for the six servants to run as far away from the kingdom as they can, taking Adriana with them, they reluctantly oblique. Exiting the castle they move softly but swiftly to the kingdom gates, and begin their journey away from the only home they've ever known.

      The Queen, now assured that her family and kingdom will somehow continue, she walks down the palace stairs and exits. Walking slowly through streets. Taking in the full affect of the damage.

    Bodies are strewn everywhere, some in human form, other's in their animal of choice. Holding back the tears, the Queen looks on. These are her people, her responsibility. And while they have been out her dying, she has been hiding away in her palace, like a lowly coward.

     What kind of Queen does that? She thinks to herself.

    Following the path her servants took, minutes ago, she exits the kingdom grounds, but instead of fleeing, she heads directly towards the battlefield. Prepared for what she's going to do. The prince of the opposite army had been slaughtered unmercifully, in attempt to give to him what he had done to her people. One royal blood had been lost. Now it was time for the other.

     Walking to the center of the battlefield, she lay her life down. Saving her kingdom, but at the ultimate price.