Chapter One

"Alyssa." I stood up from my desk, maintaining eye contact with the instructor. He stood at the front of the room, and I in the second row of desks. Many seats around me were empty, and I cannot recall at time that they were full. There are only ten of us now; ten that still may or may not make it into the Society. Some of them do not even have names yet, and others I am certain never will.

"Yes, sir?" I answer, keeping my voice respectful towards my superior. In the Society, everyone is respectful of one another. We do not insult, we do not argue with those more knowledgeable than ourselves. We respect the personal space of the citizens, and physical contact is kept at the absolute minimum.

"A son is half his father's age. In 10 years, the son will be three-fifths the father's age. Ten years ago, the son was one-third the father's age. How old are they currently?" A practice question, only a fraction of how difficult as I know the exam will be. This type of deduction is simple, and I know the answer quickly.

"The son is twenty, and the father is forty years of age, sir."

"Correct. Two men, starting at the same point, walk in opposite directions for four meters, turn left and walk another three meters. What is the distance between them?"

"Ten meters, sir."

"Correct. Excellent job, Alyssa. You may be seated again." I sat down with a small nod to my instructor, keeping my eyes focused on him and what he was saying. In the Society, we pay attention to the knowledge we are given. If not, the consequences are severe. The instructor spoke again, this time addressing the whole class. "Those are only a few questions you may face on your final exam. The questions will be highly challenging, and of those who do complete it, only a select few of you will truly be accepted into the Society. At noon today, we will travel to the Communications and Evaluations building, along with many other sectors, and you will take your exam." The instructor looked around the class at the ten of us who remained, "Are there any questions?" Nobody answered, and he nodded. "Good. You have exactly one hour for any final preparations for the test. You may begin."

I looked down to my desk, to resume the task I had been working on. The desk itself was made of glass, a relatively new model. The glass was hardwired with also transparent microchips and technology, causing a small projector inside to act as a touch screen software that remembered each individual by their fingerprints. Instructors themselves were supervisors, to observe the progress of the students. All lessons were given by the desk, at the individual pace of the student.

Would you like to resume pre-test number 115, Product Seventy-Four?

Only two options were available on the screen, yes and no. I tapped yes lightly with my fingertip, and a series of questions appeared on the desk before me. I studied each question carefully before choosing my answer, soon losing myself in my studies.

___

An hour passed far too quickly, and soon the instructor returned to collect us. We stood up without being addressed, waiting for instructions. There was no talk, no distraction; we paid attention to the instructor alone. "School group Seven-Seven-Three, it is time to escort you to the Communications and Evaluations center for your examination. Please, follow me." We moved into two lines, separating each individual by gender. Five boys, and five girls, that was all that remained of our once large class. Silently, we filed out of the room and headed outside into the Society. The younger students cast us casual, curious glances as we passed. That was to be expected, and so was not reprimanded. We were to be members of the future generation.

Travel was short, and without accident In the Society, there are no accidents. Everything runs smoothly, without any flaws in the system. This is how we survive, how we remain perfection. The building was by far the largest in the Society, a skyscraper it had once been called. I did not understand the logic of the old name. It is impossible to scrape the sky. I'd only ever seen this building from the outside; I'd practically memorized every pane of tinted, solar glass. The glass kept the building warm, and provided power for it all. I knew everything about this historical building. From the people who built it, to what it was used for and even how iconic a symbol it had become for our society. I knew it all...except what it looked like from the inside.