Flowers in Spring

the story sets in modern day Pennysylvania when an old woman, Beatrice tells her past to her daughter, Regina. the past when, in retrospect was the happiest time in her life. her story begins with Anthony, a childhood friend that became dear to  her heart as the years went by. she had thought that she would spend the rest of her life with him but destiny had some other plans for her,she had to endure facing the inevitable, the fact that Anthony couldn't live no longer, the truth that she wanted to escape from but could not. in the end of the story Beatrice reminisces all those memories and asks her daughter if in any way she could escape to her sanctuary for a little while and to do her a favor, she pleade her daughter if she could go back to that same tree with hers and Anthony's name engraved on it and to her daughter's approval they went, once already facing the tree she closed her eyes and saw Anthony inviting her hand in hand they disappeared and her presence in reality disappeared as well. 

short prologue

nothing can compare to the feeling i had in the summer of 1978, the way he wrapped me in his arms, the summer air that whirled around us as we twirled endlessly on the mglimmering pavement.

somewhere in my heart longed to have him again but fate would not let us to. it saddens me to endure the happenings of Spring 1979, but despite everything bad i still cherished the moments that i spent with him.

1

AN old woman closed her eyes and reminisced, her daughter was facing her in curiousity while sitting on the sofa beside her mother's old, brass bed 

'Reggie, let me tell you a story' her mother croaked, trying to regain her voice

'i'm not a child mom and besides you are not well enough to speak yet' her daughter said hesitantly

'oh, but i want to..'

'mother, don't be so hard headed' her daughter exclaimed wanting to stop her but her mother had already began speaking

'it was a beautiful morning in the summer of 1978, my bestfriend, Anthony Gilders was coming back from camp that morning and i couldn't ask for a better day to see him once again, I was waiting at the bus stop that was arriving at 9am, i went there at exactly two hours earlier because i was too excited of what changes i might encounter when i see his perfectly lined face.i grew sleepy at watching dust fly from the back of the mufflers of the buses and at people loading and unloding hastily as if time was limited . i coughed excessively in my dismay.'

she turned to look at her daughter staring at the people outside the window preparing for an event as if she had no choice but to look since her mother was telling this boring story about he younger years.

'are you listening Regina?' she shot a sardonic eye at her daughter who was now noticing her 

'hmm. yeah, i was just... yeah, well, continue' she regained, blowing a few wisps of her hair that was covering her eyes

'anyways, please listen this is important, if you are not interested you could just interrupt'

'who told you that i was interested in your old, boring story?' Regina thought but dismissed it away as soon as she thought that it was disrespectful

her mother continued, in the same raspy voice 

'i leaned my head at the back of the benchand suddenly fell into a deep sleep, after a few minutes i tried to open my eyes, still filled with morning glory, a man weraing a soldier's uniform and a green beret was approaching me and finally was in front of me,covering the light of the sun with his head.

'bee,bumblee?' the man said wryly

recognizing the voice when he called me bumblebee made me jump up.

i saw him after a long time of waiting, my heart rose and fell hastily, it was pounding like a nail, but why?

'anthony!' i wraped my  arms around his neck, he brought me up to the air and twirled me around in the dust atmosphere as if i was a playful baby.

'my bumblebee' he remarked the word my was shocking yet comforting why had he said it? he brought me down to catch his breath

Although i knew that i didn't want to belong to anyone but to him i could make an exception, if and only if he felt something about me, his tanned freckled face looked like he had gone in the sun a lot, his hazel brown eyes gave me a tingling sensation that would make me shout for joy, the only thing that mattered was that i had him back, MY Anthony was back. he managed to look at me with a crooked smile, the way he always smiled, always crooked as if seemingly he was shy, it made his eyes twinkle and my heart thump like crazy, his scar was still present although now it didn't bleed anymore but despite those imperfections he always seemed so perfect, i looked up at him as if he was an angel that God made exclusively for me, i always thought that i was that fortunate.

her mother had stopped saying a word now and it meant that she had to open thos eyes of hers from a short droopy nap to escape her boredom, so what if her mother had loved a guy before her dad, everyone does that, what's the big deal?

'are you finished mom?'

'nope not yet, i will just take a little nap and continue with my story later, if it's fine with you?,is it?'

'of course mother, i'm a little bit tired to and i think i could need a llittle frsh air outside' she said sarcastically, trying to hide her true feelings of boredom which was always seen by her mother

'i'll go now and i'll see you later , have a long, quiet nap i'll go so i won't disturb you'

'okay darling' 

Regina left with a thud from the door, once already closed she sighed 

'at last' rejoicing her freedom from her mother

she continued to walk by several stations until something caught her eye and this time she knew that she had to go back, even if it meant being with her mother.

she ran towards the elevator, when she was already inside she felt a sudden relief until a hand stopped its closing and when she saw his face he started to panic.

2