It's Only ↣ Chapter 24

[Tris]

Life, has been hell these past couple of days. I miss the warmth of Tobias' arms, holding me tight, encasing me in his arms to block out all of the evil things out in the cold world we call home. When I got up and walked away from him to go back in the school building, it felt like all of the butterflies that are usually swarming with happiness. . . died, and fell into an endless pit, never returning to fly and give me the excitement I crave.

Christina dropped by a couple of times to watch movies with me and talk this weekend, but nothing interesting came up. She filled me in on where Tobias is, she says that he's still quiet and blocked everyone out, even Zeke. Other than her visiting, I stayed in my room, only to get up and use the bathroom or to take a shower. This started since Thursday when I confronted Tobias about the problem.

As I stare out at my window, looking at the rain fall out of the grey clouds hitting the ground making the leaves stick to the curbs of the sidewalk and the wind blowing, I hear my door open. I expect it to be another one of my visitors, like Marlene or Shauna, even Christina. Instead, the presences is shy. . . I turn my head to see Caleb standing there.

"Hey," He says sitting down on my bed right beside my limp legs that hide under the blanket, "Christina told me what happened, I'm sorry." He says and I nod my head. "Want to talk about it?"

I shake my head at him, "Well, I expected you to say that." Caleb says, "I came up here to let you know that a boy is downstairs for you." He says and I furrow my eyebrows in utter confusion. A boy? Here?

"What does he look like," I say in hopes that it's Tobias, but what are the odds? Caleb would have used his nickname that he chooses for people to know him by. . . except me. I let out another sigh thinking about where I stand, I just want to crawl in a hole and bury myself with dirt.

"Uh, he's kind of tall. Brown eyes, blond hair." he says and I gasp, sanding to my feet. Al! How could I forget, I thank my brother and run to the bathroom brushing my hair to be presentable and then I pull it into a bun. I put on mascara make take the dark circles under my eyes less noticeable. I skip mascara and put on some chap-stick to moisturize my dry lips.

I quickly go to my closet and find a pair of black jeans, I slide them on quickly and fasten them. I throw on a shirt that looks like a turtle neck, but when I put it on, I groan. It's a high-neck collar crop top without sleeves, curse my vision. I just throw a jacket over it and put on boots over my sock clad feet. I put my phone in my pocket and put on perfume to be presentable, I don't want Al in public with me looking like a bum, he's still new and I don't want to put that pressure on him.

I still can't believe that today is Saturday, how could I forget? I think to myself as I run down the steps looking down briefly to see my father's chain hanging from my neck, perfect.

+++

I listen intently to Al as he goes on and on about his life back home and how he is coping with the difference, physically I am here, but mentally I am far away. My mind is beyond the stars, think about the ones I love. . . and the ones I lost. Dad. . . Grandma. . . Tobias. It all seems overwhelming so I excuse myself to go to the bathroom before he head over to the arcade.

I walk slowly hopping that time would stretch so I can go home and cry into my pillows, it seems like even though we didn't officially tell each other that we are breaking-up, it feels like it's happening. Honestly, I don't know where I stand.

That's when I run into him, my body slams against his and we both fall to the floor, me landing on top of him. Heat flushes in my cheeks as I hold his gaze, only for a few unwanted tears well up in my eyes, I stand up quickly and walk into the bathroom, hearing him shout after me.

[Tobias]

"I don't want to go," I shake my head as Zeke pulls me out of my house towards his truck. He really wants me to get out of the house and go to the Pit with him, but honestly, I don't want to be around anyone. It seems as everywhere I look, I see her. Her beautiful, stormy, eyes flash around the room and I see her smile, but I also see her frown and it makes my heart hurt.

"Yes, I brought the booze, it's in my trunk. We are totally going to the Pit because Uriah will get mad at me since I left him. Now, I have to kill time." Zeke says as I get in the passenger seat, willingly. My body moves on it's own now while my mind wonders far and wide. I miss her, and there aren't simpler words to express myself.

Zeke tells me all about Shauna on the way which annoys me, he's sees me going through a rough time with Tris but he continues to tell me about his girlfriend. I ignore most of it until we reach the Pit, we both drink a little bit before we walk in the pit, "What was the whole point of bringing me here?"

"Because, you need to forget about everything right now. . . Tris, Nita, Marcus, and just focus on you."

"Getting me drink isn't really focusing." I deadpan.

"You know what I mean," He nudges my shoulders as we are let in.

"Not really."

That's when I see her, sitting at the table with Al. Anyone could look at her and tell me that she's fine, but I see her true colors shining through. She's sad, her eyes are dull and she hardly smiles. She nods her head a few times at Al but other than that, her hands remain clasped in between her denim covered thighs. . . she must be cold. . . she is leaning forward like she is ready to get up at any moment and when she stands, I panic.

I turn to walk the other way, but, the idiot, Zeke, grabs my hand and pulls me towards him making my body clash into her's and we both fall, but I catch her. Our eyes meet and heat floods her cheeks, I see a few tears well up in my eyes and my face falls slack, she gets up and runs into the bathroom without another word, "Tris!" I call out after her.

I sigh when the door shuts behind her, I have to fix this.