Prologue

The sky slowly darkened over the small broken down farmhouse, giving it a sinister appearance.

The girl shivered as the wind began to blow, whistling through a nearby tree’s branches and then playing with her hair. She was wearing a dark red tank top, black sweats, and purple ballet flats. Her blond hair fell to her thighs, and her green eyes glinted with determination.

“Nothing can stop me,” she whispered to herself. “Ingenting kan stoppa mig!”

She looked down at the silver watch strapped loosely on her right wrist. It read 18:58:59. Sixty one seconds to go.

The girl took a deep breath and began to walk towards the farmhouse.  She reached the porch, and carefully climbed up the rotting steps.  The girl stepped into the doorway, which had been missing its door as long as she could remember, just as her watch changed from 18:59:59 to 19:00:00. The alarm began to beep, slowly at first, then more and more frantically. She calmly turned it off, and went further into the building.

The inside was shadowed, but not so dark that she had trouble seeing. Directly inside the door was a landing. Stairs led both up and down.

The girl listened a moment. She heard nothing above her, but from below her there came a steady drip, drip, drip, like the sound of a leaky faucet. 

She took another breath, long and slow, trying with all her might to calm her thoughts. Then the girl carefully made her way down the stairs and into the darkness below.

                                                                   ***************

Meanwhile, across time, space, and reality itself, a very different girl was sitting on the floor of her room, looking thoughtfully at her laptop. She was really supposed to be doing homework, but her stomach hurt, and she was awfully tired, and would rather make up stories than study biology or solve partial fractions.

She had shoulder-length dark blond hair streaked with purple, and the same determined green eyes as the girl who had entered the farmhouse. She glanced over at her homework, mentally kicking herself for her lack of motivation. The girl sighed, and snuck a glance back at her story.

It wasn't really going anywhere. The main character was desperately in love with a witch, and the witch was in love with an enchanted prince, who in turn was in love with the main character. She'd thought it was going be a great story...but then, befoe she'd even finished the first chapter, she'd hit this horrible wall of blankness.

She comtemplated watching an episode of Doctor Who, or maybe Pretty Little Liars. But she knew she really had to do her homework. The girl gritted her teeth and shut her laptop before she could change her mind.