I'll Be Home In A Little While (short story)

Marcus is sitting in his dressing room, his thoughts wondering far away across the pond. They just started their US tour and even though he got quite used to leaving the loved ones behind for a while, these past few months spent with his wife knocked him off guard with the uncomfortable feeling of her not being right next to him.

And that is not his only problem at the moment. He’s struggling with his nerves, and her absence doesn’t help to be honest… This is pretty bad. ‘You can’t fuck it up now, it’s the Ryman for God’s sake!’ he thinks to himself, not that it’s any help. Nor are the portraits of none other than Mr Johnny Cash hanging everywhere, for that matter.

The lads are nowhere to be seen, their manager left his room a couple of minutes ago as well, to give him some space after trying to put some life into him and failing miserably. Usually he doesn’t mind all the people around him, especially his best friends who can always calm his nerves, but now he felt an uneasy feeling growing, he just had to be alone for a few minutes. Sometimes being surrounded by a mass of people can just make you feel the loneliest person in the world…

His thoughts flew back to two nights ago when he said goodbye to Carey. They’ve been married for over a year now, but whenever they spent time together, it still felt like the first time they’d met. He always got that amazing feeling of the butterflies flying around in his stomach, his blood pressure elevating, and that strange excitement her presence brought out in him. They were in London together, two nights ago, watching a movie –a movie he would probably never admit to anyone that he saw- but it was nice nonetheless. He didn’t really give any attention to it, her heavenly scent kept distracting him, and the though they wouldn’t see each other for three weeks… He tried to dismiss that thought though, rather concentrating on her dimples that appeared anytime there was something funny or heartwarming on the screen. He took a deep breath to let the memory fill his whole mind and body. Quite unbelievable how she was able to calm his racing mind even from thousands of miles… Just the image of her.

He was suddenly dragged away from the perfect image by a quiet knock on the door. Then Ben entered the room, with a look on his face that made Marcus think he’s gonna poop his pants any time.

- Mate, we should be up on stage in ten. Are you ready?

- I don’t know, are you?

- I should be, yeah… But I don’t know, all those portraits are just freaking the living daylight out of me. I mean, the prestige of this place… It is unbelievable that we’re here. Remember, we used to dream about this, being on the very same stage as Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan! Good God…

- Yeah, tell me about it, that is all I can think about. Well, almost all…

- Missing Carey, huh?

- Yeah…

- Look, I know how hard it is when the girls can’t come with us but these few weeks will fly by and you will hardly notice. Think about it, what we are about to do tonight, it is HUGE!!! This is our dream, we have to live it 100%. Think about how Dylan took those same steps to enter the stage… This is just massive!

- You’re right it is quite exciting –said Marcus with a small smile growing on his lips. –Remember when he started playing but the technicians fucked something up so there was no sound? They had to find the switch backstage in the complete darkness. I bet that was fun! – they both chuckle at the image.

Their manager, Adam knocks on the door and then pops his head in.

- Guys, it’s showtime!! – with a massive grin on his face. –Are you ready??!

- Sure, we’ll be out in a moment –says Ben before Adam closes the door.

- Soo, are we gonna kill this or what?? –the keyboardist asks with all the excitement of the world in his voice.

- Sure, Ben. Let’s do this!! –says Marcus and embraces Ben into an enormous hug. – Thanks, mate. I think we are ready now. –he continues, with a huge smile.

- Well, as ready as we’ll ever be! – exclaims Ben as they exit the dressing room, their arms around each others’ shoulders.

Author's Note:

Hey guys!!! So I was listening to Home all week and saw that cute pic of Marky &Carey, so I kinda got inspired.... Now please note, this is the first thing I've ever written (well, the first thing with sentences... poems don't count I think) SO pleeaase comment, share, give feedback in any way you can, I'd love to hear your opinion!!! I'm in a sappy mood (which is very rare) so this is how it turned out, if it's shit I'm really sorry, the next one will be better and less cheesy, I promise. I guess I just wanted to put a smile on your cute little faces... Hope I succeeded! :)

Cheers

xx