Mistletoe

Merida was hunched over, staring helplessly at her reflection. She was in a long lilac colored silk dress. The hem and waist line were sewed with gold and a family necklace her mother had given to her, hung around her neck. Her hair was thrown into a bun, a few curls hanging by her face.

The dress was pushing tightly against her stomach and the thought of her dancing with a stranger made her even more uncomfortable. After giving one last twirl, she faced the doorway, preparing for the ball that was in her honor.
_____________

Merida sat on a velvet cushioned chair. She watched as couples danced happily across the floor, swinging and twirling and laughing joyously. She sighed and gazed at her folded hands laying on her lap.

"I see you're enjoying this party as much as I am." A voice said, startling her.

Merida turned her head to face a
man who wore formal attire and had shaggy auburn hair with green eyes. He smiled nervously at her, waiting for her reply.

"Oh - um - yeah, these events aren't my thing." She answered, sitting up straighter.

The man took a chair and pulled it next to hers, before sitting down.

"What's you're name?" He questioned, staring at her intently.

"Merida, yours?" She replied, holding out her hand.

"Hiccup." He answered, before leaning down to kiss her hand.

Merida blushed in return, taking her hand away once his lips made contact with her hand.

"Would you maybe, like to dance?" He asked, standing up.

Merida nodded, finally agreeing to dance with one man tonight. Many men had encountered her and asked her to a dance, but she always refused, for some reason she could not think of.

After taking his hand while standing up, they walked to the dance floor and all eyes were on them. Merida kept her head down, her blue eyes staring helplessly at the floor.

Once Hiccup took her other hand, she looked up, gazing into his green eyes. Her hands soon left his and slithered around his neck, while Hiccup gently wrapped his arms around her waist.

Merida smiled softly, her ears listening to the mesmerizing piano in the background. Hiccup returned the smile, his eyes tried their best to stay locked on to hers as they both danced away the night.
__________

The two young adults stumbled outside, laughing breathlessly. Once calming down, Merida quietly said, "Thank you, Hiccup."

"For what?"

"I've never had this much fun before." That might've not been true, but when she was out there free and shooting arrows, she was alone, but with another being who was just like her, she couldn't help but feel more alive.

"Well, I'm happy I made your night."
Hiccup said, taking her hand to pull her inside.

Once entering the castle once again, the two were in the empty kitchen, Merida with her hands in Hiccup's.

"This is not something I want to ask, but....when - when are you leaving?" She quietly questioned, biting her lip.

"Well - heh - I'm not sure. I would love to stay longer, but my time here is short." He answered, gripping her hands tight.

They stood in silence, before Hiccup cleared his throat. Merida looked at him questioningly before she saw what he was looking at.

Above them, hanging on a hook, was a mistletoe. Merida's face went red, with her cheeks burning, and when she glanced at Hiccup, he was the same color as her hair.

He awkwardly chuckled, "Well, you know what that means."

Merida let confidence wash over her and she outright laughed, before launching her arms around his neck and pulling his head down.

Their lips met and both knew, they would never forget that night.

A/N: This was for a 30 day OTP writing challenge I never finished. I'll try to update all my old oneshots at least once a day! For now, you can enjoy my other Mericcup story, 'You Change my Fate' ~Rain