Alpha Centaury Sanctuary

Chapter 1

Orbiter one and orbiter two had launched from earth’s last galaxy class space station Endeavor 40.5  years ago. The five-person team was revived from stasis several days previous. During the preliminary instrument check, it was revealed there was a problem with one of the Ion collectors. In checking the trip history profile one of the two collectors had been damaged traversing the Oort-Cloud. There would be enough residual to facilitate the deceleration portion of the mission, but once shut down the Ion engines could not be restarted.

Sanctuary appeared to be anything, but it was in a tidally-locked orbit with Alpha Centauri A. The half of the planet facing Alpha Centauri was a nine hundred degree melting pot. The opposite side was a frozen tundra with temperatures near two hundred degrees below zero. As the orbiter achieved planetary orbit, a very thin greenbelt could be seen circulating the planet. Commander Newell was aware, any messages sent back to earth would not be heard for 4.2 years, which was 3.7 years too late. Their six-month supply of food was only a cruel joke, but regardless Earth would at least know what happened to them.

Newell couldn’t believe his ears when 16 minutes after his transmission, he received a response.

“I am reading you Commander, but you are breaking up. I heard you, and it sounded like you were in distress.”

“Oh, thank heavens; yes, the planet is in a stationary orbit around Alpha Centauri.”

“I copy that, can you rendezvous at our location?”

“Negative Captain, our Ion collector was damaged coming through the Oort Cloud, and the Ion engines cannot be restarted. All we have is our maneuvering thrusters.”

“It would seem to me, if the planet is in a stable orbit, there must be a semi-habitable ring around the circumference of the planet. It isn’t a perfect solution, but it may be your only option,”

“I concur; at least, it’s an alternative.”

Commander Newell received the last transition from Orbiter 1 and agreed with their conclusion. Their only possible means of survival was to land on the greenbelt of the planet. Newman hoped the chosen name for the planet ‘Sanctuary’ would represent it properly.

Newell readied the shuttle for a recon mission, he and James; the science officer would be the first to make contact. Bill, Chico and Dolly would remain behind in case of trouble. The shuttle detached from its docking bay and slowly separated from the orbiter. Newell fired the rocket engines, and the shuttle shot away from its home for the past forty years. The 4.2 light-years from earth to Alpha Centauri A had passed while the crew was neatly tucked away in their stasis tubes.

Upon arriving at their target Coordinates, the greenbelt did indeed exist. It appeared to transition from dry arid desert to cold unforgiving glaciers with what appeared to be tillable soil in-between. Scrub brush, Trees and pasture land filled the fifty or so mile gap. The outside temperature at their location was 115 degrees Fahrenheit with a humidity level at 18 present. In the distance, a stream appeared to traverse the greenbelt.

Newell relayed hid findings and suggested if all looked good after forty-eight hours to make plans to join them on the surface. The lander would be equipped with the tools and goods necessary to sustain life and hopefully grow crops. It also could be used as housing if necessary.

Newell asked Wild Bill to relay a message to Commander Nansen in regard to their situation. Sanctuary seemed to be somewhat larger than earth, but due to its tidally locked orbit, usable area was only a fraction of earth’s landmass. If there was only some way of making Sanctuary rotate it could be true to its name; for now however, first things first. Newell relayed the message back to Orbiter one, “Inform Carter his theory about a greenbelt on Sanctuary is confirmed. It is approximately fifty miles wide and appears to encompass the planet.”