Chapter 1- The beginning of my end

You know that feeling that everything around you is coming to an end? The feeling where your whole world is going to crash around you and there is nothing anyone can do about it. But the worst part is knowing that the whole thing was your fault but you don’t know how. Well that’s what I felt right now. After everything I have been through, nothing has gone right, for me at least. I looked around the battle field; nothing I saw made sense to me anymore. The sounds of clashing swords and people screaming in agony echoed in my ears, making my stomach twist. You know when some people see something so gross their stomachs cringe and they feel like vomiting. Yeah that’d be me.

I heard someone behind me scream then a big thud as they fell to the ground. I turned around quickly to see the most gruesome sight yet; my best friend with a sword impaled through his chest.

I couldn’t get the thought through my head, the thought that Zach was dying and all I could do was stand there and gawk. When it sunk in I finally reacted, “ZACH!” I rushed over to him, trying not to fall and kill myself on the rocks and dead bodies strewn everywhere.  His used to be shiny silver armor was now covered in dark red blood. I started to tear up as I pulled the sword from his chest. Blood continuously emerged from his wound, I started to pull his armor off him while apologizing, “Zach, I’m so sorry, I never meant for this to happen. I was supposed to protect you and I failed. I’m so sorry.”

He lifted his weak arm and put his hand on my bloody one. I looked him in his deep, blue eyes. He spoke with a confident voice that showed no signs of pain, “You did all you could Halia and I trust that you did your best. Thank you,” his voice cracked on the thank you. My tears dripped onto the bloodstained armor, making small dots in the dark liquid. Once his armor was off I pressed my hands against his wound, thinking that pressure would do some good. It didn’t. His hand fell off mine, landing beside his lifeless body.

“No, don’t die,” my demands turned into pleading and then crying as the realization that my best friend was dead hit me.  I picked up his head and held him in my arms, getting blood in his sandy, blond hair. My heart ached; it was a growing pain inside of me that I wanted to go away, my head was racing, and I didn’t know what to do. That’s when I heard a low, damnable chuckle coming from behind me. I turned my head to come face to face with a one eyed monster…Cyclops.

“He was the easiest one yet,” he said, his voice was deep and menacing. This was the monster that killed Zach and he was making a mockery of him. I knew he was doing it to get under my skin but I wouldn’t let him mock my dead friend. I gently laid Zach’s head on the ground and closed his eyes, taking my time. I quickly took the bow I was wearing around me off and shot a lightning fast arrow at the Cyclops’ one big eye.

It missed, but just barely; instead it left a huge cut on the side of his head. That was going to scar. I didn’t have enough time to shoot at him again before he was throwing swords in my direction. I jumped to my left to dodge one, and fell to the ground. I got up instantly when I saw a severed head lying right next to my face. I felt a swift breeze rush past me. I look at my right side to see a throwing sword only inches away from me. I circled around swiftly taking another arrow from the bag on my back. I aim at his eye again; neither of us moved an inch.

“May the best one win,” I said under my breath so he couldn’t hear. If I failed, I would’ve failed trying to avenge Zach’s death. That was good enough for me. I let go of my arrow at the same time he threw his sword. I didn’t know what happened until I collapsed to the ground. The sword had punctured my stomach.

I looked up; the shadow of a man loomed overhead. His shaggy black hair partly covering his eyes, which were full of heartbreak. I couldn't remember his name, though I knew he was important. Tears started to form in my eyes, I'm sorry.

I glanced over at the Cyclops, who was crying in anguish, and smiled when the last thing I saw was my arrow through his eye.