The Siege of Nosgrid

It took a total of ten long years since Mag Tuired before the dark Shadow of the West was able to muster its dark clouds against the might of Nosgrid. The Vigardians attacked and conquered one of Nosgrid’s strongholds at the west which is Grondem, where Enifer and his 500 able knights fell. They then attacked Anfaglin. Every month, Thyperion would strengthen its defences by sending in supplies and reinforcements of bold and strong Nosgridian warriors, to check the terror of the unknown shadow lurking in the west. And in just an unchecked moment of time, flaming arrows rained heavily on the stronghold.

Zeihanni, one of Thyperion’s best commanders on the field, at once mobilized his men. He is furious of the surprise attack. There were groaning and sounds of stumbling men all over the besieged fort, that he, wild with battle, issued from his quarters and charged at the invaders with a spear in hand and not fully clad in armour. He only wore his usual-day clothing. Yet, though he was not protected by armour, he seems an unstoppable storm rampaging on the field. Many of the Vigardians fell from his terrible spear. It turned out to be the day of Zeihanni’s glory, but alongside with it, was his life.

Many of the Nosgridians were able to drive off the invading Vigardians. But from the massive army of the Vigardians came the one that wielded the bane of Men and of Elves: the Zikel-thudred. This sword, runed from the dark mysticism of Tarturia, was used once at Mag Tuired, in whose dark blade, many lives were sent to the other world. Many shudder at the sight of this sword. The very sounds of its strike instil fear on anyone who hears of it. And only one carried this sword of death, Demophoon.

Zeihanni, after realizing of the hopeless battle, turned to his lieutenant who has just killed his enemy. “Ehilataar, go and escape to Nosgrid. Tell our Lord King Thyperion of the Fall of Anfaglin. Demophoon had gathered an army so strong that we failed to resist.” There is despair on his voice. He knows of their doom and to die fighting is the last he can do about it.

“Go now and don’t hesitate. I’ll cover your rear. Take as many of the men as you can. It’s better to muster at a stronger fortress all that we could to stop this enemy,” the general continued.

Ehilataar was once an ordinary foot soldier that had gained renown during the battle against Brakkburr’s tribe. He became a close friend of Zeihanni when he once saved his life from the warriors of Brakkburr. He fought off the enemy trying to strike Zeihanni from behind. And since then, Zeihanni owed him his life. And on this very moment, of the battle for Anfaglin, Zeihanni felt it’s now time to repay the debt. He intended to make himself the bait to let Ehilataar live and save his life. Ehilataar gripped his sword and shouted, trying to defy his commander’s order.

“I cannot leave you here, my lord, as I have sworn an oath that I will stand and fight with you at the very end here in Anfaglin. Though we both know it’s hopeless defending this stronghold, for at the onset of this unexpected assault will surely defeat us, we will still fight to our last man, than shirking away from the battle. Dying beside you and the men I spent my last days with here in this stronghold, is an honour I can have that cannot be bought or will not have if I escape now.”

“Your words of courage struck me with amazement and pity alike, young lad. I am very much honoured to have led men with equal courage as mine and willing to die to defend this hopeless battle. I take it with grateful heart. You are indeed a man of unequal honour. But I can no longer be one to command you to die here, far from your home. You have a family and they will need you. So I ask you, not as your superior, but as a brother-in-arms and as a friend: retreat back to Nosgrid and bear the news of our fate here at Anfaglin. Your message will let Nosgrid know that Demophoon has risen to power and intends to conquer the Land.”

Zeihanni’s message instilled Ehilataar a feeling of regret and pity for his lord and friend. He knew that Zeihanni is right. Bearing the tidings could save their kingdom rather than fighting to the last man in Anfaglin. A greater number of Vigardians finally arrived to the wall section they are defending. Ehilataar then took his sword and started to retreat. He then heard Zeihanni’s war cry. He looked back and saw his friend fighting off the enemy. Once again he felt sorry for him, but he has to do what must be done before anything else happens.