A New Myth: Part 14

CARTER POV

“Hey, nice to see you’re all alive…” I trailed off as Sadie ran past with Aunbis, ignoring me.

“Well, you’re ever so welcome Sadie. It’s not like breaking into Olympus and risking my life is all that bad. We should do this regularly.” I muttered.

“Don’t just stand there, you dolt! Come on!” Sadie shouted running past me.

I walked after her, my mood getting worse and worse. “Oh, and you’re also welcome for the invisibility spell I put on you and all our friends.”

I ran after them, hurrying to catch up with the rest.

“Why is it that everything goes so smoothly for you guys, and not us?” Asked Frank in the crowded elevator.

“You had Sadie, we didn’t.” I replied simply, getting a punch in the arm. Sadie had to be one of the most grateful people in the world.

We had a rather uneventful walk home, besides the lighting and rain that suddenly started up. In the distance the waves of the ocean moved joyfully, as if laughing at the sky’s distress.

Now that we were out of a godly realm, Anubis looked like Walt again, and Sadie didn’t seem to really care. Everyone hurried off somewhere, as I was left alone to go to the library. I wanted to see how Leo’s progress was coming with Nicole.

The doors nearly hit my face as Leo stormed out of it, muttering something about catching on fire and cleaning up the wall.

I walked into the library, looking at the walls until I faced this one section that was covered in white foam that had a fire extinguisher at the base of the wall.

Leo seemed to enjoy playing with fire, because this wasn’t the first time I had found a burned up wall.

A girl burst out of the white foam, looking a bit startled to find the wall in that state.

“Carter?” Nicole asked, brushing away the fizz that had caught in her hair.

“Nicole! How did you get out?”

“I didn’t.” She sighed. “It’s a shabti. Thanks for those lessons by the way.”

“What’s going on?”

“My magic is going by fast. This shabti will probably break in just a few minutes. Nico and I are running out of options. The place is like a clay box okay? Some of the clay is spread thinner in some places. Nico and I can manage to break little parts of that from the inside, but not enough to break completely out. That’s how I got the shabti to you. Carter, listen to me. Find a breaking point and help get us out. Got it?”

“Yeah I think so.”

“And Carter, I know that Zia left to go on some important mission, but you need her. Go get Zia.”

 I took a step back, dumbfounded. “How did you know about Zia?”

“Oh. Whoops.” Nicole blushed. “Yeah, Sadie and I were talking one day, and that just happened to be part of our conversation.”

My face was red, I’m sure.

Nicole’s eyes widened, then she started cursing. First time I had ever heard her like that. “The shabti’s failing. I’ve got to go Carter. Bye.” She said, before the shabti made a popping noise and in it’s place was a small wax figure, slightly bigger than a crayon.

Leo burst back in the room, dropping a small bucket of cleaning supplies he had been carrying.

“I heard Nikki.”