For now

Everything was under control the way it had never been before for Stevie. She had a job, she was in a healthy relationship and finally, in a very long time, she was happy. Now, she thought, she had to get back in touch with her parents as well. 

Hesitating slightly, a little afraid, Stevie picked up the phone, anxiously waiting for someone to answer, it being Barbara. There were obviously no hard feelings on her mother's end, as she couldn't have been happier to hear from her firstborn child after months and months. They talked for about twenty minutes, but Stevie said, instead of speaking over the phone, she would like to come visit and that she also had a new man in her life, she was proud to introduce. 

Having left Will at Jeff's for the weekend, Stevie and Lindsey now stood in front of her parents' house, clutching each other's hands, as he was getting increasingly more nervous with each passing second. He loved her with all his heart, but he still had to meet Jess and what man could ever be good enough for any father's little girl?

Ringing the bell, Stevie glanced at Lindsey as they both took a deep breath, waiting. Barbara showed up, letting them in a moment later, pulling Stevie into a tight hug. 

"Oh my God, Teedee, it's been forever!"

"I know, Mom, I'm sorry." She said, sadly. "A lot has happened, only now I feel like I can come back home to you and Dad."

On those words, Jess appeared in the hallway, standing with his arms open. "Come here, Stephanie." His voice low, yet warm, as she smiled and approached her father, the two embracing each other.

Stevie then stepped back, holding her hand out for Lindsey. "I'd like you two to meet the man who has turned my life upside down, in such a good way too. Mom, Dad, this is Lindsey."

"Nice to meet you." Barbara smiled, while Jess looked him up and down, offering his hand for a handshake. 

"Nice to meet you, Lindsey."

"Likewise, Sir." Lindsey gave a small nod, sliding his arm around Stevie's back. "Thank you for welcoming me into your home."

"Well, if you're as wonderful as Teedee made you sound, then I should thank you." Barbara said, showing them to the living room. "Please, take a seat, I'll go make some tea."

Naturally, the first meeting was awkward, but nowhere as near as Lindsey imagined it to be. While Stevie's mother asked him questions and he did his best to answer all of them politely, he felt her father's stare on him at all times. Although, he couldn't help but think how much her father obviously loved and cared for her, because doing it.

Stevie and Lindsey then went to her old room, where they unpacked and he could breathe easy again, before Stevie went down to the kitchen to help her mother with dinner, leaving it up to Lindsey if he wanted to rest for a while or go and talk with Jess some more. Not wanting to appear rude, Lindsey changed his clothes he wore during the trip and returned to the living room, joining Stevie's father.

"He's a lot different from Brad." Barbara noted, as the two women started working on dinner.

"Like night and day, Mom. Lindsey is the best thing that has ever happened to me I think."

"How long have you two been together? You've mentioned it, but I can't recall."

"Almost three months, but you know, our relationship isn't very traditional. We didn't start dating before we moved in together or anything like that. He was there to help me out of the Brad mess, I had nowhere else to stay, he welcomed me into his home and we kind of went from there."

"You don't have to hold back, honey, you're a grown woman, you make your own decisions." Barbara shrugged, sensing Stevie's hesitation on how much to let her in on while speaking.

"Okay, then there's something I really want to tell you, because I have to. I have to tell someone." Putting away the knife, Stevie sighed, as she looked up. "I'm pregnant again."

"Oh..." Barbara wasn't sure how to react. She knew of her daughter's desire to be a mother, but she also knew just what a struggle it had been so far.

"Yeah. I'm seven weeks, I've known for three, but I have no idea how to tell Lindsey, because I don't know what to do about it..."

Pulling out a chair, Barbara sat down, taking Stevie's hand in hers. "You're afraid."

"Beyond afraid, Mom. I didn't lose a baby once, it happened several times and I'm not getting younger, the risk must only be getting bigger." She paused for a moment, then added. "But I want to keep it so much. I love Lindsey, I'm in love with him and to have his child? That's all I want. I also know, he wants more kids too."

"Does he have any already?"

"Yes, a son. Will is thirteen, fourteen soon."

"Have you been to a doctor?"

"I have. Everything seems pretty normal right now, but I've been there... things had seem pretty normal for five whole months."

"I understand what you're saying, but like you said it yourself, you're not getting younger. You don't know if you will even get another chance if you were to... you know... I realize that the pain you felt every time you miscarried was like nothing else you had ever gone through, but I do honestly believe that you couldn't live with yourself if you terminate this pregnancy. What if things are different this time? What if you end up having a beautiful healthy little baby in your arms?"

"And what if I don't?" Chocking on those words, Stevie hung her head low, breathing out heavily.

"Either way, sweetheart, you must tell Lindsey, you know that, right?"

Nodding her head, she replied. "Yeah, I know." Wiping away a sole tear that escaped, Stevie took a deep breath, forcing a smile. "Let's just not think about it, okay? For now." 

She knew she couldn't keep Lindsey in the dark for much longer, but once he found out, there wasn't going to be much of a choice left for her, while without him, she could still make a decision...