Hey Jay

After the police and FBI arrive and take away Jay's body I go through the paper work and questioning. I can't believe this happened.

"Yo Bailey!"

I look up, "Hey Avalon."

"Hey, you okay?"

"Honestly...no. I've used a gun before, I taken the lives of criminals before...but...Jay."

"Aw, I know you guys were...complicated, but you had to--he was going to kill you," she reassures me.

"I know, I just can't believe this happened," I look down.

"You want to go get some ice cream or something?" she asks in hopes of cheering me up.

"That'd be great...but right now I'd really just like to be alone."

"I understand," she gives me a small hug before rejoining her team who are packing up.

Walking back inside my house I walk up to my room and pull out the box again full of receipts, pictures, gifts, and ticket stubs.

After Jay gave me the pen we texted a lot and trained together on weekends, plus he went to WH so we saw each other a lot since he also ran track, played basketball, and football. A lot of times when my school went on class trips WH was one of the schools that were also there. We met up at football games since he was on the football team and I was in marching band. Freshman homecoming was when I went with Jonny, but we only stayed friends after that. I told Jay about it and he helped me, but I still liked him. The next time I saw him was the weekend after school started when we met up to go on a run together.

"So...how was...your...first day...of school?" Jay huffed.

"It was okay, got to see my friends again...a lot of people...have changed."

"Really...like who?"

"You wouldn't know them but some people just hit puberty and...and they've changed," I feel my cheeks burn red.

Thankfully Jay doesn't bring it up again, "Race you to CVS, then your tired ass can sit down."

"I...ain't...tired," he whined.

"Oh, you're just out of shape. I'm sure your football coach can fix that after a few more workouts," I laugh and speed up.

Arriving at CVS we run to the refrigerator section to fetch two bottles of water. Quickly paying for them we pop them open and guzzle the icy water inside. As we step back outside into the sunlight, we walk across the street to the baseball fields and park. I notice some guys practicing and make sure to stay out of their way. Jay is dragging behind so I stop to watch the game. It's the end of the game and the guys are walking back to their benches to pack up.

"Hey Bailey, you coming up here to practice?" Jonny calls out.

I walk over to him and his friends, "No, I went for a run with a friend. We just got some waters and I stopped to watch, too bad you're all done."
"Oh sorry, if you really want to watch a game you could go to one of my games and cheer me on."
"Maybe I will," I grin.
"Next time I run, I should invite you, see if you can improve your PR for this year," he suggests and smiles before taking a drink of water.
"Hey Bailey," Jay walks up slinging his arm around my shoulder.
"Hi Jay," I respond rolling my eyes.
"You guys dating or something?" Jonny eyes us.

"Nah, we're just friends," I smile and Jonny's smile grows slightly.

"Well nice to meet you man. See you at school, Bailey,"Jonny grins before joining his friends and walking away.