Chapter 6, Part 2

"A hypnotist!" Sylvia cried.

"Whatever for?" I asked.

"I think something is blocking your talent. A barrier of some sort, mental not physical. I have a theory that if we remove the barrier, you'll have better access to the fire within you, and better access will mean you can summon it at will. Or dampen it, if need be."

"Can a hypnotist remove the blockage?"

"I hope so. We won't know until he looks at you. August knows of a fellow in London and agreed it's a good idea for you to see him. He's given me a letter of introduction, and we'll leave early tomorrow morning. We'll be in London by late afternoon and can see him the following day."

"Do you think the appointment will take long?" Sylvia asked.

"Why?"

"We simply must go shopping. I'm not traveling all that way and not visiting Oxford Street."

Jack's eyes softened. "We'll certainly have time for shopping. Indeed, I can hardly wait. I live to carry your purchases up and down Oxford Street."

"Don't be silly. Tommy can carry the boxes to the carriage. You won't need to do a thing except pay. Just think—we're going to London. How thrilling."

"I've read about it," I said. "It's seems like an exciting place."

"Exciting is not a word I choose to associate with London," Jack muttered, his good humor having slipped away.

Sylvia sucked in her top lip. "No, of course you wouldn't."

I lifted my brow in inquiry, but either she didn't notice or chose to ignore me. "You've been to London before?" I asked Jack.

He hesitated then said, "Yes."

"Many times?"

"Yes. Violet, would you care to go riding with me this afternoon?"

It took me a moment to follow the abrupt shift in conversation. I wanted to ask him more about London, but he seemed to want to avoid a discussion on the subject. "Riding? On a horse?"

"That's usually how riding is done."

"But I've never been on a horse before." To tell the truth, I was a little frightened of the creatures.

"Then it's about time you learned."

"Wait a moment," said Sylvia, holding up a hand. "I'll have to come. To chaperone," she added when both Jack and I stared at her. "You shouldn't be alone together."

"For God's sake, Syl. I've been alone with her all morning in a room with the door closed and then again down at the lake."

"That was different. The room was work, and I didn't know you were at the lake. If I had, I would've escorted her. You can't go gallivanting around the estate together where anybody could see. I won't allow it, and I doubt Uncle would either."

"I'm not sure August cares one way or another."

"He should. If he wants to fit in with Society then he must follow the rules."

"Just because he has this house doesn't mean he wants to fit into Society. You know how he hates that class of people."

Sylvia's gaze once more flicked to me and she blushed ever so slightly and looked away. I supposed they considered me part of 'that class of people.' If only they knew—I was far beneath them both on the social ladder.

"Nevertheless," she said. "I ought to chaperone you."

Jack sighed. "Very well. I'll wait for you both in the stables."