The Dragon and the Fox

Jennica was out on a long camping vacation with her school friends when she met Issac.

The group brought their camping paraphernalia, music, books, and especially smoking weed. By the time Issac walked up to their camp one night, the group made a mess and more or less overstayed their welcome too close to his father's territory. Camping was clearly not something this bunch of humans did very often and he watched them do this for days before he finally approached. This group would catch hell from his kin—or worse, his father—if they cavorted around here any longer. Issac was also too curious for his own good.

The arrival of the strapping elfman with his black and dark-silver hair came as a shock to the campers initially. In the shock he took the opportunity to address them in the merchant tongue. Cutting to the point and kindly warning them they were in protected territory, which they should leave and find somewhere else to camp. One of the girls, a striking 16 year old with wild dark hazel eyes, subdued tonight by the weed she was slowly exhaling, chuckled at Issac, “Wow. Not nearly pretty as elves are supposed to be. I bet you could even piss standing!” Her and her friends snorted bursts of laughter.

He stood at the edge of camp confused over whether he should’ve been offended or not. Being cloistered among your own kin with only voyeuristic observations of other races didn't prepare him enough for interacting with them as he’d hoped. Issac was positively flustered, “Did you...” catching himself speaking elven, he corrected himself, “Are you trying to insult me?”

“Oh no, no! Don't be absurd!” Jennica practically bounced to her feet and swept over to him. Introducing him immediately to her friends and, of course, herself she took his hand and invited him to sit and partake. He followed but stood fast on his warning. They had to leave. She pouted, “But why? It's so nice here... Please let us stay. We're only here for a few more days then we're gone. We won't make a peep, promise.”

“I can't. You're careless with your campfire and your refuse.” Issac gestured his hand to the whole mess, “Once you return to the road, you'll find suitable camp grounds a day’s travel east or so. It's not hard to find. Really, I'll show you if you need.” Jennica broke out in a fit of snickers followed by her friends. Issac was beginning to rethink the polite approach. Maybe he and a few of his kin in their direfox forms should have chased them away, like the vixen suggested. His eyes darkened, he was considering it. Then Jennica brazenly kissed him. Through that, he found her true scent past all the smoke of her weed, something like lilies in summertime and a hearth in winter. A homey yet exciting scent. Her bawdy friends whooped and cheered her on. Catching himself in the distraction, he took her shoulders and removed Jennica from him, “Now you are insulting me.”

“Nonsense. I'm kissing you.” she walked from Issac, over to her bedroll. Slapping one of her friends across the back of his head when she passed, “My friends are just high. They'd laugh at changing seasons at this point.” Issac found himself following her while she picked up her bedroll and shook it out to roll it up. She giggled at the wince on his face when all her crap fell out of it and to the ground, “Relax. You're too handsome to be acting all nervous. Gotta make a mess to clean a mess.”

Issac watched as her friends reluctantly followed suit and began to sluggishly pack their camp. Leaning against a tree when the group took longer then he would've expected. At least they were packing the camp up, so there was an effort to heed his warning. Jennica approached him, lighting a rolled cigarette and offering it to him. He shook his head, “The smoke dulls my senses.”

“We'll that's the point isn't it? Besides, you're a wood elf, right?”

Issac slightly smiled, “Something like that.”