Memories of the Dead. [complete]

**

It was already past midnight when Jack's heavy gum boots crunched against the ground, the sounds blending in with the swishing of the winds and heavy downpour. His plain white shirt clung to his muscular body and water sloshed every time he took a step towards the shed.

It was the only place in his modern abode that remained untouched by technology. It still had that old crooked look to it, like the top of a witch's hat. The door lay slightly ajar, like it had been two years ago when he had thrown it open to escape the reality.

His shaky hands pushed against it making the door creak loudly, but he could barely hear it over the rain. Jack took a slow step inside and stopped.

Everything was the same, as he had left it that day, two years ago. The tools scattered on the table, the bloodied crowbar lying on the ground to his right, and Nick's favorite apron hanging on the rack as if he had placed it there just yesterday.

'Oh Nick...' Jack whispered as he moved further into the dark shed. His hands stretched out and grabbed the muddied apron.

Immediately his mind floated back to the horrid memories of that night, that night where everything came to an end.

'Why? Why would you do this to me Jack?' Nick's accusing eyes flashed in his mind and a single tear dripped down his cheek.

They had been best friends, doing all things together, gossiping about who they fancied and who they didn't. There was nothing that could separate them, nothing could puul them apart from each other.

However the saying 'nothing lasts forever' turned out to be more true then Jack would have expected. Everything changed when Nick took off one night after some stupid quarrel they had, never to be seen again.

He came back after twenty long days, twenty agonising days where Jack had made himself believe that his friend was gone forever. The grief had been so unbearable that the sudden sight of his friend, alive and healthy sent him into their once happy world. His return made him so happy that Jack didn't notice the little changes in Nick, the pale skin, the slightly red eyes and his hatred for holy things.

One month later, Nick finally snapped when Jack shoved a gold cross under his nose. He snarled, fangs popping out like a wild beast on hunt, leaping off the chair and backing against the wall. His actions didn't surprise Jack as it should have, because he already knew that this guy was something else. Nick was no longer present in him.

Without giving a second thought to what he was about to do, Jack picked up the crowbar and pierced it into his chest. Nick's face contracted in pain and fear, and for a moment Jack could almost see the real person lurking in his eyes. But the very next second he was back to being a beast, snapping and growling at him.

The monster screamed and asked him.

'Why? Why Jack?'

He never answered the question then, no word came out of his mouth as he watched Nick slip onto the floor, in a pool of his own blood.

But after all this time of wallowing in sorrow he could now answer that question. He could make peace with the reality of what he had done on this two year anniversary.

'Because you turned into the demon you always feared.... Nick' Jack whispers into the now empty shed with the skies crying along with him.

**