Chapter Two

Sarah barely slept. Each episode of sleep brought another nightmare worse than the last. Dark halls and a masked phantom with a knife…she ran but could not flee the terror. She got up and paced the floor, eager to be free from her prison walls, but terrified her tormentor waited just beyond them.

While making a pot of strong coffee and listening to the news on the radio, she learned of the murder of a young woman outside The Piano Bar. She remembered seeing the lights of the aid cars, and now understood the excitement last evening. The death gave Sarah some measure of perspective regarding her own situation.

At five, she shut off the radio and turned on the stereo. Listening to music and sipping the hot black coffee seemed to help her ease the stress, and she realized she might be overreacting. Her nightmares faded while she set about preparing for her day, and she managed to get out of the house by 7:30. She usually enjoyed the brisk morning stroll to her office, but, this morning, certain she had overreacted, suspicion tugged at her, and Sarah cautiously observed the people around her.

“I know how to solve this problem,” she muttered to no one as she entered the door to her office building.

When she greeted her secretary, Jackson Hyde, her lack of sleep was unnoticeable. The crisp morning air had put the color back in her cheeks.

Jackson reacted with surprise. “I didn’t expect you today.”

“I need to take care of a few items before the board meeting.” She moved quickly to her office. “Sorry to startle you. Just pretend I’m not here.”

“Nonsense. Just tell me what you need. I’m at your disposal.” He bowed at the waist in jest.

Sarah did not respond with her usual smile at his antics. Occupied by her thoughts, she pulled her office door closed, but then hesitated an instant to ask Jackson, “Would you call John Thomas and ask him to come over as soon as possible?”

“It’s done. Anything else?”

“No … well, maybe. Can you tell me if you’ve received any curious telephone calls in the last several days?”

“No, not really. How do you mean ‘curious’?”

She realized the question made no sense. Wanting to avoid further inquiry, she turned away from him.

“Never mind. Just see if John can come by. Show him in when he gets here.” She shut the door, leaving Jackson staring after her. Sarah did not mean to be rude, but Jackson liked to gossip, and she did not want to give him more information than necessary.

****

Enjoying his independence before Sarah arrived; Jackson became angry at her attitude and arrogance. John Thomas might be her choice of confidant, but Jackson knew how to get even. In retaliation, he gossiped. Sarah made a keen subject. He had one goal: to become executive director of the Palmer Foundation. That was his only reason for working for a woman.

It was a goal he neglected to share with Sarah. Eventually, she would recognize him as the only candidate qualified for the job; after all, she had come by her position through the questionable death of her husband, the real icon of the Palmer Corporation. Sarah was an artist, and totally unqualified to run a business. She was a figurehead—an attractive figurehead—but no more. Jackson knew what he wanted, and playing the dutiful assistant to Sarah would help him accomplish his goal.

Ambition burned like a fever within him. Climbing to the top meant everything to Jackson, and he used every opportunity available—as well as others he managed to create. Although shorter than Sarah, who stood just less than five feet five, he carried himself as though he were six foot five. Jackson relied on his looks to open doors and convince others of his trustworthiness. Nearly everyone had experienced his arrogance—everyone but Sarah. In her presence, he was obliging and efficient, and Jackson enjoyed his power, especially when Sarah gave him credit for reading her mind.