What You Need - Roc Royal Imagine

The only source of light that illuminated the room was from the small television in Roc’s room as you two sat on his carpet talking. Your face expressed stress and anger meanwhile Roc’s eyes burned holes into you as you spoke as he absorbed every word from your lips.

“He’s a fucking asshole! He just left me in the middle of the club and went to some party with his home boys!” you shouted as you clawed your fingers through your curls. As you spoke Roc would frequently nod his head or rub your shoulder in a form of support.

“And then that’s when I called you to pick me up…” you replied, finishing up your story about your obnoxious boyfriend, Jamal. Roc still sat facing you as you spoke and then dropped his head once you were done. You heard him sigh deeply and then he looked back up at you and shook his head in annoyance before speaking,

“So what are you going to do now?”

You shrugged your shoulders and glanced down at the floor,

“I don’t know…” you whispered. You could feel Roc’s glare upon you as you spoke and tried hard to ignore it, hoping he would soon look away.

Roc stayed silent until you looked back up at him; his eyes were still narrowed into a glare and the veins in his forehead were slightly popping out; symbolizing he was clearly annoyed.

Roc had been your best guy friend since 9th grade and had to often listen to long, dragged stories about you and your boyfriends while he sat back and shook his head. Jamal had been one of your longest relationships and Roc simply couldn’t stand him. It was a mystery why Jamal and you had lasted for almost three years and Roc was done trying to play detective.

“What!” you screamed after seconds of agonizing stares and silence.

“You’re so fucking confused.” Roc whispered rolling his eyes.

“No I’m not.” You snapped.

“Yes- yes you are. You can’t even tell the difference between what you want and what you need.” Roc said laughing sarcastically.

“Yes I do Roc.” You snarled again, growing more and more irritated.

“Trust me…you don’t.” Roc simply replied.

“And how do you know what I need?” you asked in annoyance and curiosity.

Roc simply looked you up and down, trying to fight the growing smirk on his face and then turned his attention to the watch on his wrist.

“It’s almost three in the morning, you want to me start taking you home?” he asked getting up and heading to the bedroom door. But before he could reach it you jumped up and sprinted to the door, blocking him from being able to leave.

“No answer me; I wanna know what you think I need.” You challenged.

Roc started laughing at your stubborn approach and then reached for the door handle but you quickly slapped his hand down.

“Damn, so you ain’t gonna let me leave….my own room?” Roc asked through fits of cocky laughter.

“No, I wanna know what I need.” You replied with an edge in your voice.

Roc again reached for the handle and you once again blocked it. Roc stopped and stared at you, trying to read into your expression. One of his dark, think eyebrows were raised meanwhile the side of his mouth was pushed up in a smirk. His dark eyes that glared into yours could hardly be seen because of the darkness in the room and suddenly you heard his deep voice speak,

“You wouldn’t be able to handle the truth.” He whispered pushing his body into yours as you stood up against the door. You could see in the darkness that he was biting down on his large, bottom lip in anticipation for your answer.