Choosing the right genre ... ~Moonpsyche6~

Choosing the right genre:

What’s the perfect genre for your book?

Well, to answer this you need to know what kind of genres there are. So how many are there? Well a lot. So asking for all the genres of books is a little like asking a list of everything that is written. Though the most popular ones are:

Adventure

Romance

Science Fiction

Mystery

Paranormal

Thriller

Action

Tragedy

Comedy

Biography/Autobiography

Poetry

Fantasy

Fiction

Teen Fiction

Historical Fiction

Horror

Non-Fiction

And so on…

Though remember there are many different combinations you can make. You could have for example a Science fiction comedy or Horror romance. It’s all possible.

So how do you choose the perfect genre for your book? Well, here are a few tips:

1.      Know what your book is all about. What do you want to tell the reader. This might sound stupid but it happens way to often that a writer works on different story’s at a time and doesn’t really remember what he wrote in this story. So first: READ YOUR OWN BOOK!

2.      So, now that you know the ins and outs of your book you’re ready for step 2. What’s your audience? Who did you write your book for? Some people like to read romance, other people like to read science fiction or horror. Other people like all genres. Though the audience for each genre is different. So you really need to know the people that would read your book.

3.      Decide if your book is just 1 genre or a combination of more (for example comedy and science fiction). What’s would be your main genre/What’s your sub-genre? A good example is Romance. It  can be an historical Romance or a Comedy Romance.

4.      So you chose 1 or more genres. Do you still think it fits your book?

5.      If you can’t decide yourself. Try to get other reader’s opinions. Having an outsider take a look can be a huge help.

6.      Browse through different books, here on wattpad or your own books at home or the library, what’s their genre? Compare it to your own book. Do you still think the genre fits?

7.      Make a final decision. You’ve considered all options and now it’s time to choose. For some writers this is the hardest part of writing a book. Choosing a genre is important for reaching the right audience and the right market. A genre can determine if your book will be hot or not.

So what genre did you choose?

What’s your favourite genre?