Chapter 5

The next couple of days were beyond miserable. It had begun to rain, and there were no signs of it lighting up. I was constantly pulling my hood down, though it was no use. The rain had already soaked through all my layers. I turned around every now and then to find the others looking the same. Grim, cold, and wet...except for the Waterdancer, who was riding her Warg as if nothing was out of the ordinary, and had a slight smile on her face. Of course.

While Gandalf was talking about the other Wizards in the world, I couldn't keep my mind off the Elf. I couldn't believe I had actually begun to tolerate her! It was my own fault for letting my guard down, I let her become comfortable. Then she started sticking her nose in my business. After crossing the line and paying for it, she obviously learned her lesson. The Elf kept her distance, and she only spoke with me when absolutely necessary. And that was just how I wanted it.

Though she'd provoked unwanted thoughts and infuriated me more than anyone here, I had to be curious about her. She was a mystery. I glanced behind me once again, she was continuing to hide her good mood that the weather had put her in. A part of me understood...sort of. She was surrounded by the element that she was named for.

My mind started then. How had she earned her name? My nephews and Ori had given a brief story, but those had to be quite the tricks and skills for someone to acquire such a name. And how did she become well known by certain folk? I couldn't imagine how someone who wouldn't even be visible in a crowd could manage to become the talk of one. Who exactly was this creature? Gandalf gave me some reasons as to why he invited her, but I had a feeling that there was more to it than he was leading me to believe.

After a few more hours of riding, the rain finally came to a halt. When we came out of the forest, I found that we were in an open area with what looked like an old, abandoned farmhouse. I turned my pony around to face my company. "We will camp here for tonight." I announced, and dismounted my pony. "Fili! Kili! Look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them. Oin! Gloin! Get a fire going." I commanded.

"I think it would be wiser to move on." I turned around to see Gandalf inspecting the house. "We could make for the Hidden Valley." he suggested.

I narrowed my eyes at the Wizard. "I have told you already. I will not go near that place." I said firmly. I didn't want to argue about this, but if he was going to keep pushing, then so be it.

"Why not? The Elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

I was getting tired of this already. "I do not need their advice." I snapped.

"We have a map we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." he tried to reason.

I raised my eyebrows. "Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls. The Elves looked on and did nothing.You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather? Who betrayed my father?"

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know they were yours to keep." I retorted. I'd had enough of this, and apparently so did he, because he stomped away from me.

I could hear the Hobbit asking Gandalf where he was going, but even he was ignored by the Wizard. "Come on, Bombur, we're hungry." I growled. As I was walking ahead, I could overhear the Hobbit conversing with the Waterdancer.

"Do you think he's ever been in a good mood?" the Hobbit asked.

"I'm not sure, but I know that Dwarves can be stubborn. Stubborn beyond words, actually. It's just in their nature. But, they are also incredibly kind and loyal. Though their outer-shells are tough, they have the biggest hearts. Family means everything to them." she told him fondly.

"How do you know that? You haven't exactly received the best treatment from them, and they're secretive people. Where would you learn about Dwarves?" Master Baggins asked.

The Waterdancer gave a small smile. "From my father." she said.

I did not understand. I understood that she learned about Dwarves from her father, but there was something about her tone that made it more than just a lesson. The Waterdancer spoke of Dwarves so fondly. She talked as if it were from experience. I wondered how this Elf knew so much. I guess her father must have been a brilliant teacher.

It had grown dark, and Gandalf still hadn't returned. I was eating my soup when suddenly, Fili and Kili burst out of the bushes. "Trolls!" Kili shouted. I stood up from my place with wide eyes.

"What?"

"Trolls! They have the ponies! And Bilbo has gone after them!" Fili clarified.

The Waterdancer approached them with squinted eyes. "Wait, you mean to say that Bilbo, an innocent Hobbit who wouldn't know any better, went to face Trolls to get the ponies back alone?" she asked.

"We don't have time to argue, Pixie!" Dwalin nearly shouted. "If the burglar is alone, then we don't have much time."

I gathered my men together, and commanded them to arm themselves. "Not you." I commanded the Waterdancer, who was beginning to grab her spear.

"What?"

"We need someone to stay here and guard the remaining ponies."

"Is that true, or do you just not want me there? Or is it because you still believe I can't fight?" she challenged.

I glared at her. "You will stay here, or there will be consequences, Elf." I sneered. The Waterdancer threw her spear onto the ground, and stomped off towards the ponies. Ignoring her tantrum, I turned to the others. "Come on! Let's go!" I shouted. We went running into the forest in search of the Hobbit, hoping that he hadn't already been eaten.