{Ch. 4}

New book cover coming soon from @princessfeyre ! Thank you so much!

—————————————————————————————————————

"Can't we move tomorrow?" Harper groans, "I'm exhausted." He was tired from weightlifting and running several suicides during basketball practice. The basketball coach has been pushing the team harder than before since tournaments were coming up.

"No, we're moving tonight, Harper," his mother said, appearing in his doorway. "We have to be out of here in two days." She rubbed her belly, "Imagine how I feel everyday carrying them."

Harper sighed, being reminded that he has pending siblings that aren't too far from coming into this world. His mom is seven and a half months pregnant. "Unfair to pull the pregnant card."

She teases, "I'll pull the pregnant card for as long as I'm pregnant, thank you very much."

Harper arises from his bed, changing the subject, "I wouldn't be so tired if we had a little help." He makes a knowing expression at his mother, who shot him a warning look. He ignores her threatening look that told him not to go there, "Dad should be here. Where the hell is he again? Oh yeah, not here! Where he should be."

She sighs, "Harper, not tonight, please." She hates when Harper badmouths his father. "I don't want to have this conversation with you tonight."

"Well, I do," Harper presses, "Why does he keep abandoning us? Because he's a good-for-nothing piece of crap, who abandons all responsibility, that's why."

"Harper...," she groans, in defeat, "Please."

"He's a manipulative, lying, selfish, lazy, deadbeat loser," he eggs on.

"For fuck's sake, Harper!" she shouts, shutting him up, "We are done with this conversation!" She leaves his doorway.

Harper resists the urge to follow her to continue this argument by continuing packing. All he wants is better for his mother. Better for their family. Anger began consuming him. He has to get this frustration out or else he's going to explode. As his chest tightens into knots and his heart clobbered against his ribcage, he texts Rocci in an outpour of rage.

***

Rocci's phone vibrated, notifying her of a received text. It's probably from Harper. She checked her phone and wasn't surprised to see who it was that text her—no one else but Harper of course. She skimmed his long rant, that consisted of several very long paragraphs. Probably about his parents. She let out a sigh as she started to read a bit of the text messages to see that Harper was in fact angry about his parents. Whenever Harper feels the slightest bit of negative emotion, he runs to her. It doesn't matter what day or what time of day either. She begins to reply to his texts, attempting to calm him down.

***

"Mom, what are you doing?" Harper runs her way, taking the heavy box from her hands. "You're not supposed to be carrying heavy—"

"I'm not some fragile little girl, Harper," she stubbornly remarks.

"I don't care what you're not," Harper takes the box from her hands.

"I just want this to be done," she groans, rubbing her back for a moment.

"It will be done," Harper reassures her, "And when we get to our new place, I'll massage your back. Just relax, mom, okay? I'll handle everything."

She cracks an appreciative grin, "Thanks, I love you."

Harper chuckles, "Love you more, mom." She kisses his cheek.