Miami

"Ashlyn, we're almost there," I looked over at my mum who now had a smug smile plastered all over her face. We'd just recently moved to the US from London, my home town, and my mum was said to be starting her new job as a journalist in a few months time, but for now we were free to soak up the sun's rays and enjoy the rest of summer.

-------------

My dad was a pharmacist, working in a small chemist in the main part of London, so yes, you could say he earned a decent wage, however to Addy's and my sudden delight the last we heard was that we were moving to America, (note the sarcasm), and that I would go to the US with mum by myself. At the time you could say that I was pretty annoyed, I had just recently started going out with this new guy in town, Jack, and to top it all off, I had to end the relationship to both mine and Jack's astonishment as I had suddenly found myself on a plane to Miami.

I heard that Miami was said to be a nice place, near the beach, not too far from Orlando, well maybe a few hours, but I don't know, it seemed alright I guess. I had seen a few pictures of our new house in a brochure that mum had bought not so long ago now, and it was really nice. It consisted of: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, 2 lounges, and a basement, oh and of course we had an attic too. The garden was massive, but mainly because the pool took over the vast majority of it. We also had a patio and a few trees in our garden, I think they were cherry blossom trees although I can't remember, I swear that I have a bad memory, never the less, I can still remember the pretty pink bedroom that I would be having as soon as we got there.

The flight was too long for my liking, with what, me fidgeting in my seat, willing my mum to let me walk around the cabin, however when she finally allowed me to get up I was the first to jump up out of the both of us and leg it to the loo. I guess that you could say that I acted like an infant wanting to get their own way and buy the toy, but it wasn't my fault that I was desperate and my mum wouldn't let me get up! I must have been stood outside the cabin toilet, jigging around and showing myself up in front of everyone for about ten minutes before that egotistic boy waltzed out looking like he had come face to face with an ogre. It really wasn't my fault that I looked the way I did! My mum had done the last minute packing when I was finishing getting ready and I couldn't find my hair brush and to top it all off she had already locked the suitcases without letting me apply my makeup! I begged her all the way to the airport to unlock the suitcases and let me put my makeup on but she just refused. So here I was, standing in front of a jerk and looking like an ogre all because my mum was so conceited this morning!

He looked at me like I had four heads before smiling at me smugly, walking off and giving me a wolf whistle. I couldn't do with this, I had really had enough, I wanted to go home! Why couldn't I live with dad instead of Addy!? None the less, I was about to lock myself in the toilet when the fasten seat belt sign appeared and I was escorted to my seat. Why did that jerk have to take so long!?

I must have made such an appearance because the last I heard before we started descending was my mum's voice saying:

"Ashlyn, shut up, you're making a scene!" And to my surprise, or not, that egotistical jerk was looking at me smiling that smug smile of his before he finally cut off eye contact between the two of us and returned to reading his book. What was someone like him reading anyway? But before I knew it my mum called my name and told me to have a sweet.

My mum has a thing with sucking on a sweet before landing because then my eardrums won't pop and be sore for days so I just smiled that fake smile of mine, grabbed at the sweets packet and popped one in my mouth. It was a strawberry and cream swirly patterned sweet. It was gorgeous, so lush and scrumptious! Although I couldn't stop thinking that I was still pretty annoyed at my mum and my dad for giving me such short notice before I was stuck on a plane with a conceited, egotistical jerk who had to make me wait for the toilet which I didn't even get to go to in the end, and made to sit on a plane and be jetted off to flipping Miami! Basically what happened this morning was...