Chapter 10

It was possibly the coldest and emptiest Christmas that Hogwarts had ever had. But it was understandable as everyone wanted to be with all the family they could. Last year's war had been beyond devastating and the yearning to be with family was stronger than ever. Yet some of the few students that wanted to stay were unable to, because in the empty halls, a feeling of sorrow echoed off the walls so those that had the option to leave, took it.

Only a smattering of students at Hogwarts remained, their numbers less than ten. Among them were Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy.

"Granger stop staring at me like that," Draco wanted to growl but instead chose to keep his voice even as they both read their individual books in the common room of the eighth years' tower.

"I bought you a present but I'm starting to wonder if I should give it to you. I know you're trying to be more interested in muggle things to keep our truce but I'm starting to wonder if I'm pushing the line."

Draco's head shot up. His grey eyes widened as his thoughts exploded with a silent curse. "You are such a bleeding heart Granger," He mumbled.

"I'm going to choose to take that as a compliment this time. Anyway we're already spending Christmas together. It's just appropriate," Hermione said but avoided his gaze anyway, cursing herself, thinking maybe it would have just been better to surprise him instead of warning him so he couldn't insult her. And really, did he have to insult her because she was starting to care? Merlin the guy thought everybody's actions were fueled by sympathy. Couldn't he accept that just some people liked being nice and polite?

Closing his eyes Draco stood up. "Fine, just make sure it's not something disgusting like a hand knit sweater with an M on it, or whatever you Weasley cult people like to gift each other. Anyway I'm going to go take a nap in my dorm." He said looking at Hermione with a bored look.

Hermione's jaw dropped at his audacity. "Draco Malfoy!" She exclaimed outraged. "You, you," She sputtered. "I would never spend that much time or heart trying to knit you one in the first place, you ungrateful git! I have a mind to just, just!" Hermione yelled after him but Draco never turned around, just waved her words away. "Arghhhh! Git!" She yelled, resisting the urge to stomp her feet childishly. When Draco disappeared to the boys dorms, Hermione huffed, gathering her stuff to head to the library where at least she could do something productive and start on her applications for the ministry!

Unbeknownst to her, ten minutes later a certain blonde Slytherin was seen making his trek to Hogsmeade to find any last minute shops that were still open. As he lifted one leg in front of the other rather slowly, plowing through the knee high snow, Draco couldn't help but curse the much too conscientious heart of Hermione Granger. Two days before Christmas! It would be a bloody miracle if he even found one damn chocolate left at Hogsmeade!

!

The next morning Hermione tried to quietly get through the girls dormitory to not wake the other remaining girl, a Ravenclaw whose parents weren't ready to be parents yet, still mourning the death of their youngest. However hearing a creak behind her, Hermione nearly jumped out of her skin before whirling around, her wand at the ready.

A bored meow and an unimpressed look, Crookshanks stared up at her before his tail swayed and he strutted past her. Wincing at her overreaction, Hermione pocketed her wand back into her robes and relaxed her hold on the present in her arms.

Making her way to the common room, where the Christmas tree was lit twenty four hours by magicked candles; Hermione's eyes widened in surprise at seeing a shivering Draco Malfoy in a large blanket and his pale pallor slightly tinged with a mix of red and yellow, sitting as close to the fire as one could. Whilst looking utterly miserable with Crookshanks on his lap.