Chapter 5: The Dragon Race

Today was the day. I was confident and brave. I walked Fearless haft way then flew her the rest. At the starting point I got off. I found Lexi standing with her arms crossed.  Lexi smirked at me,

"I saw you the other day, sweating from your eyes, wait toughs were tears ha-ha." She laughed. "What happened, did lover boy brake up with you?" She made a puppy face. She had to be so immature. I glared at her.  When she turned her head I saw some locks sticking out. I giggled.

"What's so funny I-did-a?" She asked.

"What's funny is that somebody disheveled their hair." I said. Lexi touched the back of her head the groaned. So far I was having fun. It was getting windy and chilly out. I for got to bring my jacket and there is no time to get it.

There were a lot of people in the stands. Lexi's parents were cheering for her a lot. No I mean a lot. I could tell that Lexi was embarrassed. I know because she always pulled up her hood and pretended not to know them. I started to shiver, but then I felt something warm on my shoulders. I turned to see Ted laying his leather coat on my shoulders. I didn't take it off. I liked the feeling.

Then it was time to get on the Dragons. Fearless was really excided today. She was the first at the starting line. I had to hold her back so she wouldn't cross.  We were all ready. When the sound of the canon shot, we were off. As always, Lexi was pushing Izzy to the front. The bad habit of trying to win. I told Fearless to follow the birds. With her eyes closed she did and followed then. We passed the other dragon riders, then we were side by side with Lexi and Izzy. Lexi gave a mean look and whipped Izzy with the rains. Izzy went slower. Fearless got ahead. Lexi just keep whipping Izzy and whipping, but the more she did, the slowing Izzy became. We were ahead. I let go of the rains and held my hands out to the side. I can feel the air though the jacket. It was like I was flying too.  I closed my eyes as we crossed the finish line.

We had won for the 4th year of Dragon flying of my life. Lexi landed next. The crowd was cheering. In the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Riley. I turned and she gave me a hug.

"I didn't know that you were coming." I said.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Riley replied. When we broke away Lexi came up to us.

"That was unfair!" She pointed at me. "I deserved that race!" She started to scream.

"Me being unfair? It was you being unfair to your dragon." I said. Then we left her.

"Who's she?" Asked Riley.

"My enemy Lexi Grim-Waters." I answered.

"She has such an attitude." She said.

"Don't need to tell me twice." I said. Then we laughed. We meet up with Ted moments later.

"Great job out there." He said.

"Thanks." I was still mad at him but I force a smile. I took off the jacket and gave it to him. "Thanks for the jacket." I said. Ted took it for me,

"It was a pleasure" And he bowed. This time I didn't fake smile.