The Rude Awakening

An abrupt noise causes brown-eyes to slowly flutter open from between laces of long black lashes. Lights, the neon yellows, greens, and reds, all seem to burn into her irises and her vision blurs heavily, pulling in and out of focus. A muffled and discontented groan begrudgingly rumbles between two parted lips. The young woman swallows sharply, feeling as though, someone had cracked her skull open with a metal baseball bat, in an attempt to hit a home-run. "Geeze....Louise..." Ricki grumbles incoherently, under her breath.

Her hand lifts and trembling fingers brush through thick tangles of curls as she tries to force herself to gain some semblance of clarity. Her chest heaves, and Ricki finds herself inhaling for what seems to be the first time, a deep breath. It feels as though, the depths of her lungs hadn't known the relief of air for a long time. As a result, she exhales with a low grungy cough.

A sudden movement beside her catches her mostly fuzzy vision. Moving her head closer, Ricki could just barely make out a head of golden hair and broad shoulders. Worriedly, Ricki questions in a tone no louder than a whisper, "So Sonn.....Sonny.....? Y...y...you still breathing on....on me?" She weakly attempts to place her hand over what she assumes to be his heart.

A chill shot through her figure as an icy metal bracelet slides around her wrist. Immediately, she pulls back her hand only to find the movement being met with resistance. Her free hand's fingers followed the cold metal to what she assumed was Sonny's arm. "Ughhhh..... y...you won't believe this....." she groans. Ricki wasn't able to make-out exactly what was holding her arm, but from the color and feel of it, Ricki assumed it to be handcuffs. "I think.....we...... got s....so...ome.... some new jewelry. I can't even see well enough to.....to try and....and pick it a.....apart...." Ricki murmurs in complaint, lifting her head as high as she dared to.

A raging thunder floods over the insides of her head. Ricki's vision goes from just being blurry, to dancing with flashing yellow stars, lightning, and then pin-wheels before going completely black. She allows her head to crashingly return to the mattress. Her eyes squeeze closed to block out the sudden numbing sound that clogged her ears.

A highly exasperated huff emerges from her and she breathes, "Man..... I feel like an irresponsible teenager after a....a night full of drinking. I can't...r....remember anything. I'm soooooo......tired..... and I hate this....." Ricki wipes her free hand's palm and fingers down the bridge of her nose and over her lips, as if, it would help resurrect the events leading up to this moment, from the realms of the misty forgotten. Groggily she inquires, "you?" Maybe, just maybe....Sonny would recall what they were doing here.

The noise ringing through her ears crescendos and comes to a sweltering peak. The longer the whistle-like notes last, the worse her stomach feels. She can sense it churning violently as if, she swallowed the choppy and storm-tossed seas. "Sonny?" Comes her grumbled utterance. Her tone becomes uncomfortably husky as she continues, "I....I don't feel s....so good......" Ricki slowly turns her face away from him. Her shaking free hand clasps over her middle, in an effort to calm herself down. She was quavering uncontrollably and despite her best efforts to contain it, she forcefully gags and wretches several times. Thankfully, her stomach was empty or else she might have redecorated the cement floor beside the mattress. But then again, had her stomach been full, perhaps she wouldn't have felt so violently sick.

Once the threat of vomiting passes, Ricki wearily buries half of her face in the cool but dirty mattress between her and her partner, letting her breathing slow again. Slumber was beckoning for her to cease the resistance. Unfortunately, Ricki was almost too fatigued and ill to fight it. She allows her heavy eyelids to close again, wanting nothing more than to surrender. Maybe the pain and nausea was something she'd have to let wear off. The longer her eyes remained closed, the more comfortable she became.

While the impending realization of the very present danger wasn't a primary concern to her in this state, it lurked somewhere deep in shadows of Ricki's mind. It would take awhile for thoughts of safety to surface. How long? She wouldn't even be able to hazard a guess.