VEDIC VOWS - THE RISE OF MOHINI

FOREWORD

Dear friends,

Of all the characters only King Vikramadithya of Ujjain, is real, as in a legend and history. The rest including his queens and supposed sons, daughters and relatives and settings are imaginary. The mythical characters and some of his brothers, father and occurrences are in concurrence with the folklore ascribed to him. Any resemblance is coincidental. As this is my first attempt I would be grateful for your comments.

The legend of Vikramadithya is a very famous one in India. He is synonymous with king soloman for his cleverness and just ruling; but it is the vetaal (vampire, spirit) who made this a legend, how the king goes to collect the vetaal, who tests his ingenuity by telling the king tales and asks him to judge the scenario but flees back once the right answer is received. The king persists in his endeavour for Twenty five nights, to keep his vow to a sage. He is also attributed to the tales of throne, where the Bhoja king who tries to use the throne, given by lord Indra king of Devas, long after Vikramadithya's time is tested by the thirty two Apsaras (women of the heavenly court of lord Indra).

Historically, Vikramadithya's age was a golden one. His court was adorned by "nine gems" a group of nine extraordinary people who excelled in different fields. He was a parmar king and the Vikrama Shaka Era is named after him.

This work has a copyright and belongs to me.