XANADU

----------------------------

The Corbett's, the most fortunate family in our small village town take a journey to their Xanadu every single year. Elle calls it an escape to independence. Timothy calls it a trip filled with humor. I call it three weeks without anything happening in our small rural town.

The Corbett's are like the glue to Elkwood. They honor our town in every single way possible. But when they leave our town it's as if they let go to everything they had before. This year things were different.

The village was told by the rich family that everyone should meet at central park in two days if they are open enough to participate in a secret opportunity. The announcement felt very quick, short and sweet. It was a very mysterious announcement. The days before the gathering, rumors spread around the village. What was this announcement? Everyone wondered.

My trust in the Corbett's was very unique. Elle Corbett has the most kindness out of the four Corbett's, she also takes a lot of risks she shouldn't take. Timothy Corbett is the most annoying person I have ever encountered. My Mom says Mr. Corbett can fix any problem in the town. It's as if he's Bob The Builder. I need a little reassurance before I become friends with Mr. Corbett. I highly doubt I'll ever really get to know him. Mrs. Corbett has the ability to seek the good during the bad. No wonder she's a psychiatrist. And like all psychiatrists' are, she's understanding.

The one huge problem I have with the Corbett's is Timothy. Timothy needs to give me his mercy. Timothy was the worst to me in elementary school. One of my values in elementary school was wisdom. Timothy's value was annoying me. A lot. A whole lot. I hope he yearns to be a better person after what happened in elementary school.

The day finally came. It was the day of the "announcement".

When Mother and I stepped into central park there was a banner hanging from two oak trees. Painted in red, the word Xanadu was on that banner. It took me awhile to listen to my intuition but after awhile I figured it out. They were taking someone to xanadu.

At first the whole village was in perpetual shock. But then I had a spark of faith and possibility. What if I'm going to Xanadu? Hopefully if I'm going, I'll be able to diversify and develop new hobbies. I've been stuck in this village my whole life. It would be fun to escape and nourish and shape my mind with new things.

The Corbett's probably have a lot of great expectations for those they choose. They probably won't choose me because of the fact that Timothy despises my existence. But if I was chosen I would have a lot of gratitude towards that family of misfits.

Elle walks up on the podium. "As you probably figured out we are taking someone to Xanadu. Timothy shall make the announcement of who will be trailing along with us."

Thoughts rushed through my head. Hopefully they choose me, I better still have affirmations after this, I'm sure I'll find a new zest in life besides Xanadu. Hopefully.

Timothy said, "With little respect, I'd like to invite Trevor Alexander to Xanadu."

They invited me to Xanadu.