Signs (part two)

"If you ever want me to talk to you again, you're going to help me prove Billy cheated at the bike race," Matilda firmly said.

"What does that mean?" Ferry asked, stopping on their way back from school.

"It means you need to go to Billy's home, find his bike, and then find the object which helped his bicycle fly."

"But, Matt, you do know that bikes can't fly, don't you?"

Matilda turned sad, "Of all people, I thought you would believe me..." she said in a low voice.

Ferry's tone turned softer, too,  "I do believe you. If you say you saw something strange, I believe you."

"Then you have to help me, Ferry. I want to wipe the smirk off that spoilt brat's face, once and for all."

"But you know Billy hates my guts. I can't even come close to his home..."

"You can't. But your mother can," said Matilda, smiling meaningfully.

It was easy to convince his mother to take him with her at the Pride Mansion, that Saturday morning. Mr. Donovan wanted to enjoy his morning sleep and Ferry couldn't possibly visit a friend so early in the morning.

The Prides were hosting a big party for their guests from the Big City. So Mrs. Donovan's help was needed. Ferry promised he would behave, although the plan of stealing that mysterious object was far from good behaviour.

The Pride residence was situated on the outskirts of the town. Ferry knew the fame of the house only from hearsay, but he never imagined a house could be so big. The road from the tall iron gates to the house was longer than he expected. On the sides, tall oak trees and poplars were rising towards the sky as if guardians of a sanctuary.

The house was actually an old mansion with a rich architecture that would have made jealous the wealthiest man in the world. The Pride property had thousands of acres of land at the edge of the town. It had big gardens, a maze, and a racecourse where every midsummer, business partners of Mr. Albert Pride enjoyed the countryside.

Inside, the house was decorated as if a palace, with solid furniture encrusted with ornaments, built by the skillful hands of the most famous handicraftsmen.

In the large saloon, a huge chandelier made of thousands of crystals owned the place, capturing the eye from the entrance. It was the room that hosted the most exquisite parties. The floor was made of marble and Ferry thought of it as a great skating rink. The room had a round shape while the walls were decorated with enormous paintings from where gods and fantastical beings were watching. Ferry could watch them an entire day. On one side, big marble stairs were leading to the upper floors.

 On one side, big marble stairs were leading to the upper floors

His mother's job was to take care of the guests' rooms on the second floor so Ferry had to say goodbye to the wonderful room at the entrance.