Chapter 3 (Jessica)

“Aaron!”

The sharp voice pulled me out of deep slumber. The darkness in the room clouded my eyes and I reached up to clear them before realizing that the comforter had been pulled over my head which was now ducked under the line of pillows. My knees pulled towards my chest, and my arms had cradling my head, shielding me from the world beyond the blanket and trapping the scents that comforted me.

Light from another room poured into the small space that I had created for myself as I moved the blanket away, even though it wasn’t much, it was still enough to make my eyes water.

The same voice called out again only louder, closer, causing movement in the doorway. I felt my heart race as the sudden movement startled me, my head ducking just low enough that my face was hidden by the blanket, but I could still keep a watchful eye on what was around me.

A dirt covered baseball cap came into view as the person wearing it jolted forward. I recognized the tired hazel eyes and shaggy, dark brown hair from the diner. In my head I could almost see the people dancing around him and cheering him on while Ethan separated himself from the group, but in here Ethan wasn’t available to save me. The space where he was once sitting was now empty and I felt my breath catch in my throat at the thought of being here without him. With people I knew less than him and people I didn’t trust, even if he did.

“Marie?” Aaron asked quietly in attempt to keep me from waking, “Up here.”

I heard the sound of quick and heavy footsteps coming up a set of stairs as another woman’s scent filled the air. Somewhere at the base, my wolf could tell the similarities between her scent and Ethan’s, relaxing only as much as my human mind would allow her to while I kept my eyes on Aaron.

In my mind I was surrounded by men, who were all licking their lips in anticipation as Vlamir’s hands closed around my breasts. They were all monsters to me, and the deep sounds of a male’s voice only made my heart beat faster. Before Vlamir I wouldn’t have cared.

“Aaron!” the woman growled letting out a huff of air as Aaron hushed her, “What the hell is going on? You and Ethan both were telling me to get back here immediately. With all this talk about rogues, I thought one of you was seriously hurt. Do you have any idea how sick with worry I was?”

“Well-”

“No, you don’t.” She cut him off with a low hiss, “I was in the middle of a lesson. Do you have any idea how hard it is to teach wolves half my age how to pick the right herbs for silver poisoning? Making sure they understand that one false move could make-”

She fell silent as she sniffed the air, and when she gave a low warning growl, I knew that she had picked up my scent. I moved as far away from the doorway as I could without moving off the bed or causing my muscles to ache, and I could hear a small struggle just outside the doorway as Aaron held her back. I peered breathlessly over the blanket to see the woman’s light blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. Her lips were pursed at Aaron, a sign of frustration, but after realizing that she wouldn’t make it past him, she backed down.

“He brought the rogue back here?!” she hissed, “Does he have any idea how pissed our father is going to be if he finds out?”

I bit into my lip after the way she said ‘father’. In my heart I knew that she meant Alpha, but if that was the truth, it meant that Ethan was the Alpha’s son. He would be next in line to take over the pack, and currently I didn’t have the best track records with Alphas.

“That’s why he’s not going to.” Aaron answered quickly, “We’re going to keep it quiet as long as we can or at least until she is in better health.”