Prologue

Richard clutched his stomach with one hand and hit the floor repeatedly with the other as he doubled over with laughter. He had put clown makeup on all the elephants before show and everyone was laughing at the circus folks' expressions.

He saw his father turn to him and narrow his eyes. He shut up immediately and his eyes widened. He rolled into a standing position and made a run for it.

"Oh no you don't!" His father laughed at the embarrassed look on his son's face as he caught his arm. "I can explain?" He chuckled weakly as his mother placed her hands on her hips.

"Oh really?" His father challenged with a grin.

Richard nodded his head with wide innocent eyes.

"Well, you see, I was walking through the tents when I thought 'Hey what's it like to wear clown makeup?'"

"So you put the makeup on the elephants?" His mother deadpanned trying to fight the growing urge to grin at her son's antics. Richard nodded, his eyes wide.

"What do you think John?" Mary turned to John, a fond smile on her face.

John smirked. "I think a LEASH is the only answer to this boy." He grinned at Richard as his son's eyes grew even wider.

He cleared his throat multiple times before looking his father straight in the eye. "I can not tell a lie... JOHN DID IT!" He cackled as he raced out of the tent.

Mary gasped as she turned to her nephew who was behind them with wide eyes and a corn dog stuffed in his mouth. "Oi didn'f dof iff!" He yelled out, his voice muffled by all the food in his mouth.

John shook his head while his wife spoke. "My heavens Boy! We are VERY disappointed in you! Your lucky we're on in thirty or I would call for you to be benched for the night! Don't you let us catch you doing something like that again mister! You hear me?"

Their nephew threw his hands in the air as he turned and walked away. Mary giggled. When he was younger he would have saluted her and yelled 'Yessum!' corn dog or not.

Meanwhile Richard grinned and ran towards the Ringleader of the circus who was exiting the tent for a small break after introducing one of the circus acts. Richard was about to jump out and tackle him when he heard a slow clap and hid behind some crates

"Quite a performance Mr. Haley... It'd be a shame if something... happened...." Said an intimidating voice from beside him. He looked up and saw a man in a suit with one blue eye and one brown eye. He was smirking and looking at him through one eye.

"Scram Zucco! I told you we're not paying for your false protection!" Haley yelled at him looking angry but exhausted as well. "Suit yourself." Zucco said as if he knew something they didn't. He was still looking at Richard.

As he turned and walked away Richard shivered. Something about that look was... off... he needed to warn his parents... he felt- no he knew something wrong was going to happen if they performed that night...

He quickly ran off towards his parents trailer and opened the door before racing inside and letting out a sigh of relief when they were all in there.

"Mama, Tati!" He called over to them. His mother smiled softly at him and held up his new uniform. Before he could say anything he was ushered into the changing room and the uniform was shoved into his hands.

All thoughts of Zucco were wiped from his mind as he stared at the uniform. It was a red sleeveless tunic with a yellow stripe at the end and green spandex. His face turned a bit red as he stared at his reflection. There was a little silver 'R' on his chest.