The Tailor's

Chapter 4: The Tailor's

"My family?"

"Yes."

"That's not possible... My parents died in a crash."

"A what?" Gaius asked her.

"They couldn't have. You're right here, and your father is alive." Merlin said

"I'll try to convince the king to see you, and then you'll see that I speak the truth." Gauis said.

~~~

Gaius went to speak to the king, whilst Merlin and Madeline set out to find some qoute-on-quote "Appropriate clothing" Gaius had said, earning a laugh from Merlin and a confused look from her. Only a glance down at her dirt-ridden and stained short dress would clear it up.

So Merlin and she set out to the tailors, and were talking along the cobbled roads.

"Merlin?" Maddy asked, frowning.

"Yes?"

"Where do you come from?"

He smiled.

"This little village named Ealdore. Everyone knew each other there, and you could bet when you walked about you were having an eye kept on you." Merlin replied.

"You don't seem like a village boy." She told him.

"Then you can see why I left."

Suddenly, a shadow passed over her. On instinct, she looked up, just to see a rearing horse above her. One hoof on my head would kill a girl her size.

"Watch out!" A voice, Merlin's voice, yelled, and she felt herself being pushed to the side. Merlin and she landed with a thud, him on top of her, staring into the girl's eyes.

"You... You just saved my life." She breathed.

"How could I not?"

"Why do you keep helping me? First it was healing me in the forest, and now this.... But I don't belong here." She stated.

Getting up, he offered her his hand. Accepting it gladly, she pulled herself up off the ground. "There's just something about you that makes me can't let you feel hurt. And plus, if Gaius is right, you're a Pendragon. If you ever even feel the slightest pain and I could've helped you, the King will have my head."

"Merlin, I don't think-"

"Merlin, what are you doing? Are you guys okay?" Another voice said, and she looked up at the horses' rider. He had blonde hair, like Maddy, and the same blue eyes. The man wore chain mail armor, and an arrogant look on his face.

"Yes, sire. She just got in the way of your horse." Merlin stared at the ground.

"Good, you're okay. Now, do you see the state of my boots? They're filthy! And since you're not hurt, I expect all of my shoes cleaned and shined by when I get back." He added.

She stared at Merlin when he rode off, confused at why he ordered him like a personal slave.

"I'm his servant." He stated.

"When did this happen?"

"You were passed out for days, and I carried you to Gaius. He healed you, and in the meantime, I saved Arthur's life. So I'm his official pack mule and such."

"That isn't right. You should be treated as equally as he, no one person should be better than the other." She replied.

"Things must be different in your world." He said, and they continued on to the tailor's.

~~~

About a half an hour later, and a complete makeover, she stood before Merlin as he evaluated her appearance.

The dress was a white, creamy color, which showed off her tan, and ended at her feet. It was low-cut, with long sleeves and a pretty lace pattern by the waist.

"How do I look?" She said, spinning around so he could see it.

He stared at her, unable to get any words out, captivated by her beauty.

"Please don't tell me I look that bad!" She laughed, self-conscious.

"No, no," He said after a while. "You look... I mean, you're... It's beautiful."

"Well, Merlin, you do know how to charm the ladies!" She said sarcastically, and he blushed. "You're terrible at flirting."

"Thank you." She said, hugging him tightly. He hugged back, and finally let go.

"But there's one problem. I don't have any money. How will I pay for this?"

"I'm paying." He said, still blushing.

"But... Isn't this expensive?"

"Um... Yes?" He said, frowning. "It's two weeks worth of my salary, with the other dress." He motioned to a light purple one in the corner.

"No way. I'll stick to my dirty dress." She said, but Merlin's mind was set. He ended up buying her the dresses, and wouldn't even listen to her complaints. She walked out looking like a completely different person, her hair braided, along with her dress on, and the other being held by Merlin, even though she didn't want him doing anything for her.

"You know, for a guy, you do have some fashion sense." She teased, and he smiled.

"I blame it on having to work near Morgana every day, she's always droning on and on about the new pearl earring her father gave her, and meanwhile, those pearl sets could feed me for a month." He complained, and she smiled. He was such a boy.

They arrived back at Gaius' workshop, and walked right in.

"Madeline?" He said, "The King will see you now."