sixteen

sixteen bracelets left, fifteen days to go.

I'm not ready to lose the only form of protection I have. but she wants me to be happy. she's trying to stick my pieces back together.

maybe my scars are the glue.

she knows what it's like. i can't see her scars now because she put them where even shadows can't touch. and i don't want to share her secret.

I would buy her flowers a lot. an assortment of reds, blues, purples, greens. and every time I gave them to her, I saw her scars.

it hurt me too much, to not be able to place my lips on her scars, telling her that I'm proud of her. she's so happy now, I wish I could be as bubbly as her.

maybe she's helping me be like her. maybe she's wants me to find myself.

"Frank," she opened the front door for the third time this week. i looked at the clock on the stove, 2:00. "Hey there."

her smile was small, and short lived. she took her place next to me on the floor and gently took my arm. I don't like struggling against her or arguing with her. i've never hit her before, and I hope I never do. she might leave me forever.

"Ready for the third reason? i can take you to band practice after," she murmured to me.

I nodded in agreement.

"Third reason," she began, touching my hair, "I love your hands. How you wear gloves, and cut the fingers off. How it makes mine really warm when you hold it. How it always smells like our dog from you constantly petting him."

I smiled when she mentioned our dog. our dog was a Jack Russell terrier. his name was Harlequin because of an anime she likes. I forgot the name. but Harlequin was white with caramel orange patches on his ears and his back.

with that smile, she smiled. then I slipped another bracelet off. it was a rubber one, but smaller.

after all I've done, I hope you still love me.

-----

just gonna have to deal with me putting harlequin in every fricking chapter im

su kc my ass