Chapter 41

I slipped away with no problem. Out the door and down the street at a full out sprint, my hood whipping behind me. I barely had time to feel the cool of the night on my skin before I was slowly to lightly step through the path of orange traffic cones outside the mansion. Leapt over the wall, landed in the lawn. Ran up the wall with ease, swung lightly in my room, thankful I had remembered to leave the window open.
I didn't throw on pajamas- didn't need to look like a total dork in front of everyone. I did take off my sweatshirt, so I was only in jeans and a green T-shirt. Nobody needed to recognize me from the meeting. And if they did, Meg would hopefully play dumb and pretend I'd fooled her too.
I flung myself onto my bed and entertained myself by running my fingers over my teeth. This was really quite fun for me because my teeth no longer cut my skin. Okay, maybe my canines were a little longer than usual, but they had sunk enough back into my skull enough to be considered normal. And- I hardly dared believe it, but as I sat calmly on my bed, totally prepared for my fate, I fancied the idea that my tan was indeed returning.
It wasn't too long before I heard the sound of the truck pulling to a stop at what was probably meant to be a safe distance. I heard the sound of hushed voices and clanking and arguing. I snorted. Amateurs.
I figured I should pretend to be asleep and oblivious and at least give them that satisfaction. So I lied back and closed my eyes, letting my other senses spread out and soak up everything. Strangely enough, I was totally relaxed, not even tense. I accepted what was about to happen, and I knew just how to handle it. For once.
I heard the clatter of a ladder on the rock wall, and wondered why they didn't just slip through the gate. Then I remembered it was locked after midnight.
I chortled in amusement as the sound of their voices floated in through my window. I'd even left it open, just to make it that much easier for them. I heard the clatter of another ladder against the wide of the house, and wondered how they planned to carry me down struggling. It was then that I remembered that word. "Euthanize."
Crap.
I heard grunting coming up the ladder, and quickly tried to think of a way out without spoiling all my plans- but too soon, I heard the rustling of clothes and heavy footsteps, timid breathing, as a large figure approached my bedside. I was willing to bet it was Bill who had tried to shoot my brother. I would never forgive him for that. That hadn't been in self-defense- that had been attempted cold-blooded murder. Bill was the dangerous one. He was unhinged.
I waited until I smelled the cold, metallic, sterile stench of the needle on the air. I stiffened, but kept myself totally relaxed. I needed to stay human from now on, or this wasn't going to work.
I tried to ignore the satisfaction steaming off the man, and then there was the prick of a needle in my upper arm. I twitched convincingly, and flopped onto my side, purposely pinning down his arm. I heard him whimper in fear, and suppressed a smug grin.
Suddenly, I felt a little drowsy. The man's hot breath was on my skin, and then he was trying to sling me over his arm fire-man style. I swiped my arm at him wildly, not quite able to think straight. But my reflexes were slow, and I missed by a mile. I felt myself drifting, falling... darkness, and my eye lids were now clamped shut on their own, and I... slept.