Letters to Augustus - Part 3

Dearest Augustus,

Isaac remains in a critical condition. Doctors are doing everything they can, but it isn't enough. One of the doctors told us that yesterday.

Annie and I are still waiting for any signs of hope. His parents are still absent. I can't help but wonder where they are. Does this have anything to do with why Isaac tried to kill himself?

Oh, my God, I just remembered something. Shit, why didn't I think of this before? The note, Augustus! I forgot about the freaking note! You would be so disappointed in me for letting such an important detail slip my mind. I shall return to this letter after this detail has been dealt with.

Hello again, Augustus.

Sorry about that. I just drove to Isaac's house at a fairly illegal speed to find that note. Let's just say that even you would be shocked to read it.

It reads:

"To whoever finds this note, I have tried/succeeded to kill myself. Why? Because I'm blind, my best friend died, my girlfriend left me and my family abandoned me. Yeah, that's right. They moved away. They fucking left me in the middle of the night without anything that could tell me where they are or where they could be. They're probably in Canada or something. I tried to contact someone else, like a family member or something, because it's not a good idea to leave a blind kid to live on their own, but no one responded. I just sat on my bed doing nothing for like, a day. So yeah, I'm dead. Or I'm not. I dunno. Oh and if this is Hazel reading this, Gus was lucky to have you. It's a shame I didn't get to you first. Bye everyone."

I told you you'd be shocked.

Who in their right mind would leave a blind person on their own for more than an hour? They are the pinnacle of the Mountain Of Utterly Unintelligent Human Beings.

There are nurses coming to talk to us. I should probably pay attention.

So long and good night, Augustus.

Hazel