Chapter Six - Do the Freak

I was strongly considering having myself put in a home.

I mean, here I was, pulling down Black-Friday and Thanksgiving signs, advertising unbeatable deals, and I couldn’t stop letting my mind wander to things that were completely insane. It’s getting worse. It’s speeding up.

It made sense. I was relatively normal: a bullying victim, a little freaky and messed in the head, slightly masochistic and sadistic and lonely in a sad, small way. Mental patient, nut case, walking genetic-disorder.

I got a good laugh out of that. My parents had been informed through not-the-swankiest-sources that my schizophrenia, small amount of pigment in my skin and wild purple seeing-orbs was caused by government-regulated medication. They stirred up a big stink. When I look back on it, I wish they had been happy to have me as I was. I think that would have helped my situation out a lot. Everyone has their own, mental view of perfection, though. I didn’t really fit my parents’ picture.

“Alexanderrrr,” Jessica drawled behind me. I heard the pop of her gum, inevitable as an action-hero cracking a whip and just as cheesy. I sighed, refusing to turn around. I mean, she was ugly, but I wasn’t going to puke all over her for that. It’s kind of self-inflicted, though, I thought bemusedly. “What’s up?” I asked, thinking over the exercises Shrink #6 had given me for social situations with “evil people”. I, personally, preferred the term, “ugly fuckfaces”. That didn’t go over very well in our discussion.

I could almost feel her pout into my bared back. “C’mon, Alex. Don’t be such a killjoy.”

I don’t know what caused it to go off. The pressure building in my head over the past couple of days? It needed a vent, and damn, Jessica was looking like a pretty good vent.

I whirled around, feeling a strange power surge through me, a power that made me feel unstoppable. No, not unstoppable. Invincible. “Listen up, Buttercup,” I snapped, glaring into her watery blues. “I really don’t want to play your games. Go away.”

The weird thing was? I didn’t want her to go away. I wanted to cause a problem, make a scene. Go into the spotlight I always avoided.

Jessica made herself the perfect vent.

“But Alexanderrrr  

I’m not proud of what came next. At the time, though, I was.

I leaned in, my entire body feeling hot. “Leave. Me. Alone.”

Then I brushed her forehead with my fingertip. A teeny little stroke that caused a teeny little stroke.

Jessica’s eyes rolled back in her head and she collapsed on the ground, her normal, pretty face contorted in terror. I could see what was going on in her head – words flickered across her true visage, words like painfearlosspaindeathdeathdeath, repeated in a silent scream.

I felt myself choke on my own saliva and walked away quickly, realizing shrinks couldn’t help me anymore.

When I got home, I went straight to Tanner’s computer. I booted it up, easily guessing his passcode – boobiez. “Classy,” I muttered. Sweat beaded on my brow and I felt myself get nauseous, and not from a bad headache.

I had done something to Jessica. Something bad. I didn’t even know what it was. Worst of all, a small part of me had…liked it. Wanted more. Wanted to rend her soul asunder and send all-that-was-Jessica scattered across the universe.

I shuddered, even though I wasn’t cold, and searched for anyone that could help me.

My phone vibrated. I checked it – it was Celeste. She was asking where I was, if I was alright. I frowned. Why would she ask if I was alright? Is she…my eyes widened. What if she’s working with the police, or something? Shit! Maybe I’m some sort of mutant and the government wants me! Dammit!

I searched Google, drowning in waves of fear, nausea, and guilt. I’m so sorry, Jessica. You may have been a fucked up young lady but you don’t deserve whatever I did to you…

I found something. And when I say something, the term is loose.

I stared uncomprehendingly at the name: Welcome to the Home Site of Margo! Witch, Palm-Reader, and general slayer and mentor to slayers! All are welcome.

Underneath was a line in strange symbols. I stared at them and they blurred together, like they had been English all along and I’d just strained my eyes. Demons can go to Hell.

Normally, I’m not superstitious, but this little…woman-thing seemed to have a general knowledge of what I was going through. I didn’t want to try and deal with Tanner and I definitely didn’t want to creep Celeste out. “She’d think I was a freak,” I muttered.

“Joke’s on you – she already does!” My head snapped up to the doorway where Tanner leaned, his bloodshot eyes focused on the top of my head. He chortled, shaking his red face. “Nah, dude, I dunno who’re you’re talkin’ about. But, but don’t be stupid. Everybody…” he seemed to pause for a moment, the strong alcohol smell taking that moment to its advantage and pouncing on me, “thinks you’re a goddamn freak.”