The Other King-A Ball To Remember (part 1)

I looked myself over in the mirror, admiring the beautiful ball gown that Ana had give me. The dress made my bright blue eyes more noticeable. My natural wavy hair cascaded down my back past my shoulders.  Ana had ordered some women to make sure I was properly taken care of before the ball. They had bathed me, styled my hair to fall perfectly down my back and shoulders and dressed me; pulling my corset deathly tight. They had wiped white substance over my face, which made me look quite pale.

I was still up in Peters room as guests arrived in there royal carriages. Peter had said that most of the people that night would be royalty; other Kings and Queens from kingdoms afar. I was slightly worried about meeting others with such power. I guess this is why Ana had ordered the women to dress me; so I look presentable in the eyes of Kings and Queens. I sighed aloud, not quite ready to follow the façade that Peter had told me to follow. He had told me to act as if I truly did love him. As if we were truly in love like a soon to be married couple should love each other. Not this fake love I show Peter in front of Ana; just to please her and Peter.

I sat carefully on the bed, not wanting to ruin my dress, waiting for Felix to come and take me to Peter; so we can make our grand entrance together. A King with a beautiful Queen on his arm; that’s what people want to see.  A happy King and Queen; already happily in love, always prepared to take care of their kingdom. This is the façade I must play with Peter for an entire night. I had to make close contact with him as we danced, as we sat together, as we walked together. I shivered knowing I must feel his cold, heartless touch.

I straightened the wrinkles on my dress, taking a deep breath. I could hear the loud melody from the ball room. I could almost hear the dancing footsteps of people enjoying themselves. I could only picture the image, a crowd of people dancing together in their royal gowns. Soon all their eyes will be on me.

I took a big calming breath, closing my eyes I thought of Jane, Walter, and my father. I miss them so much. I missed Jane’s warm calming voice, her presence. I missed her like a child would miss their mother. I miss her warm nurturing care for me. The loved she would show me. I missed the feeling, the feeling of being loved by someone.

In the back of my mind I was also very worried for my father. I am no longer there to attend to him when he’s ill. I missed the small chuckles he would make as he would mumble funny words to himself, his strong voice, and his love of course. A small tear spilled from my eyes as I pictured his withered up body lying in bed alone.

My thoughts were soon interrupted as a heavy hand knocked on the door. I took a deep breath before calling out. “Enter.”

Felix entered the room stopping to step to the side. Soon maidens filled the room and surrounded me, I stood up as they attend to my dress, making sure I was properly dressed. Soon a young maiden was rubbing rose petals on my cheeks.  I felt one of my feet leave the floor as a leather shoe soon was placed onto my foot.

The maidens quickly looked me over, making sure that that I am, really, presentable. They quickly bowed their heads to me and walked out of the room, not daring to turn their backs to me; as Peter ordered them to treat me with as much respect any other queen would be treated with. Felix smiled as he noticed how the maidens where acting towards me. He nodded at them before softly shutting the door. He turned towards me and bowed down slightly. He was dressed in a dark green velveteen doublet.  Peter had ordered Felix to attend the ball.

“My Lady,” Felix started, staring at me. “You look beautiful tonight.”

I gave him a polite smile, I had nothing against Felix. “Thank you, you look handsome tonight.”

“Tis amazing how much a bathing can do for a man.” He chuckled.

I giggled, “Yes, that is true.” I slowly looked my self in the mirror one more time, before turning to Felix. “Well, we mustn’t keep Peter waiting all night.”