Prologue: The Beginning

Muffled screams rattled the shiny black box as I tapped on the glass.

"If you listen close you can hear them crying," peppermint flooded my senses and I cringed, resisting the urge to gag.

Why does he reek of candy?

I narrowed my eyes and pressed my nose against the glass, "What is this?" The thing was completely opaque. All I could see was my reflection bouncing off the dark exterior.

"This my dear," the man that loomed behind me paused as he stroked the box with a large hand, "Is an aquarium- a special aquarium I created myself. And inside of it are a few of the damned souls I've collected over the years. The poor people that are too corrupt even for the likes of hell end up right here."

"And you keep them in your office, in an aquarium of all things, because...?"

His laughter shook my bones, sending wave after wave of chills down my spine. It was a deep and sinister sound that I'm sure would haunt me for the rest of my life, "You sure you want to know, dollface?" I nodded, refusing to make eye contact with the man out of fear for what I would see.

The logical part of me was banging against the barrier of my mind, screaming at me to run out of the office and never look back. The longer I stayed the worse off I would be. However, a sick part of me was dying to know about the man's aquarium and everything else in his office.

An opportunity had presented itself before me, and if anything I would like to gain knowledge of the man behind the legendary title before I left.

The sound of his voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I jumped back to attention. 

"I enjoy the sound of their suffering. I find it to be rather soothing."

My eye twitched in response as I slowly backed away from the aquarium, nearly letting out a scream when I bumped into his massive body. He wrapped his arms around my waist, hauled me over to his desk, and shoved me roughly into a chair. I scraped a fingernail against the black wood of the large desk only looking up when I heard him sit down in his own chair.

Crimson eyes locked onto mine.

Bile rose in my throat.

Don't let the eyes get to you. You can do this.

"So... Satan, I- I..." I choked on my words as his gaze drilled into me. Jesus Christ, did the man not know how to blink?

His pouty lips curved up into a smile at my discomfort, "Venna Blackburn, it is a pleasure to finally meet you," he spoke in a low hiss. My mouth went dry and I clenched the arms of my chair.

"Do you know why you are here today my dear?"

I shook my head, too afraid to speak. The devil had taken my breath away, but not in a way that I liked.

I eyed him as he ran a hand through his burgundy locks. That's so not a natural hair color. I wonder if he dyes it... I had to bite back a giggle at the thought of the devil sitting in a salon getting his roots touched up.

"You killed one of my reapers!" he roared and slammed his fists against his desk. I screamed at the outburst, nearly falling out of my chair.

"I- I can explain! It was an accident!" I covered my face with my arms as he leaned across the desk, towering over my quivering frame, "Please let me explain," I whimpered. His warm breath hit the top of my head, making it feel like it had just been set on fire.

I heard him inhale and sit back down in his chair. The clock behind me ticked loudly, making goosebumps rise across my arms as we sat in silence. After what felt like the longest two minutes of my life, he spoke.

"Start from the beginning."

I struggled hardcore with what I wanted this to be- a long chapter, a short chapter, a prologue, etc. But I finally decided on prologue! Chapter numero uno will hopefully be up soon. Let me know whatcha think! I'm a little rusty so please have mercy on me *insert sad pathetic puppy dog eyes here*