Chapter 28: The Big Reveal (Part 1)

Elizabeth's POV

Nick drove down the road furiously, which made me feel scared. I grasped on to handle above the car door tightly. I could see the determination in his eyes.

"Tell me why you left, Nicolas!" I sobbed as I tried to stop him from driving so crazy. We were almost there, but I already had tears running down my face. Nick sighed and pulled over, then looked into my eyes.

"My mom died, okay?! I wanted to ease into it by taking you to a place that means something to me, but you have no patience!" he yelled. He surprised me. Nick had never snapped at me before.

"Nick, I'm so sorry," I said as I looked down. I felt ashamed that I forced him to tell me. "Why didn't you say anything?" I couldn't imagine what that would be like. It's bad enough my mom is always on a business trip.

"You know, I'm kinda shy. And it's not your doing." Nicks face turned bright pink. He blushed easily.

"What happened to her?" I asked with sympathy.

Nick had to take a deep breath before he could tell the story. He probably didn't want me to see him cry. He was weird like that, but I knew he was going to.

"She and my dad divorced before I started high school and she moved to California. What she didn't say was why she moved away from my brother and I. She was diagnosed with breast cancer, but there was nothing to be done. She finally told us about the cancer before Spring Break, but she didn't want us to worry. I flew over there to be with her for her last few weeks. She was mad, but was happy I was with her. She passed away about a week ago, and I had just been walking around LA since then, just thinking about stuff, until I brought myself to come back here. And I'm glad I did. I didn't know how bad things were until you guys told me. I'm sorry I didn't say anything before, but I had to be with my mom."

I wiped the tears from my eyes. Nick tried to look at me, but I kept my head down. We sat in silence until I noticed he was crying. I stretched over and hugged him tightly.

"We're here for you, Nicolas. You don't have to be alone," I whispered.

The hug was getting a bit awkward, so he pulled away so I would let go.

"What were you thinking about in LA?" I asked curiously, trying to change the subject.

"I was thinking about Josefina. I still love her even though she cheated on me. I know it doesn't make any sense, but she'll always have a place in my heart."

I didn't respond right away because I didn't know what to say. I thought he had moved past this. I guess I always hoped that he would go for someone else. Maybe even me.

"I just don't want you to get hurt again," I admitted. Honestly, I couldn't imagine Nick and Josefina being separated, especially because of the baby. They were meant for each other.

"Liz, I'm gonna be fine. And the baby might be mine; I want to be there for her."

"You should be there. She needs you now. We all need you to be kept sane."

^^^

I'm so sorry it took forever to write this chapter (it's really half a chapter). I have serious writers block and I seriously don't know what should happen next. You guys need to help me. PLEASE! I"m begging you. Comment what you want to see happen and I'll think about it. Thank you guys for being so patient!

-NatCat <3