The Way Love Works- 3- Where Oh Where

"Where the hell are my parents?" I had to ask myself when for the third night in a row I ate by myself. I knew they were busy helping my great aunt because her health wasn't doing well and her mind was degrading. But still, you need time for your child, right?

I washed my single dish and ran upstairs. I turned on some Katy Perry and messed with my hair, all the while aware there must have been about two million girls in the exact same position. Probably about... no males. To be honest.

"Darian!" I heard called from the front door.

"Oh wow, my parents are ACTUALLY home!" I yelled back, loud enough for them to hear over my music. I would never talk like that in reality, but they should know how I feel.

There was a pause, long enough for me to think they just forgot about me again. Then, "Darian just get down here."

"Fine..." I sighed to myself. Downstairs, I could see how tired they looked; bags under their eyes, pale skin, slow movements. But they kept going. They were strong people, I'll always give them that. "Yes?"

"Sit," my father commanded. I did, purely because he scared me sometimes. Especially when he was tired because he could go off at any moment.

"Darian, Aunt San isn't doing too well," mom told me quietly.

"What does 'too well' mean? She... she isn't going to last long?" It wasn't like I was THAT close to the woman, but I grew up seeing her occasionally- enough to be upset by her passing. She was never really hyper, yet she was a person you could never imagine dying.

"We're not too sure son..." she trailed off, staring into space. I climbed up on the stool opposite hers at the counter, looking at her drawn face. She finally looked at me in return. "I don't know."

"She won't." My head snapped to my father. 'She won't'? What kind of heartless person says that? So blandly.

"Mom!" I glared indignantly. She 'shh'ed me and ran her fingers through my hair. I quickly pulled back, pushing her away. No one does that... especially when I'm upset. "What the hell? Did you hear that?"

"Excuse me?"

"Him! He just... he just said- that!" I pointed an accusing finger at my father.

"Calm down, D-"

"Calm down?"

"Darian. Nicholas. Scott." she said through gritted teeth. "I am tired, stressed, and going to lose an aunt. Please just. Shut. Up. And listen."

I was breathing hard from trying to keep myself cool, but still kept my mouth shut.

"A while back we got notified that Aunt San put us in her will... Now don't take this the wrong way, but I need you to stay home for a week in a couple months and take care of everything. After my loss, and all the stress we've been going through, we're going to go on vacation to the-"

"Oh yeah, more money to throw away to your vacations. That's exactly what you fucking need!" I threw my hands up in anger, standing. "Why don't you guys DO something!"

"Watch your mouth!" My mother yelled back. "I raised you better than that!"

"Like you cared as you did...."

"Get upstairs. You're not talking to your mother like that." My father took a step forward. I sprang away from the chair and stumbled back, straightening up. I glared, then slowly started to walk back to my room. I measured each movement, careful not to set him off. I didn't look back when I stepped out of the room and tried to ignore the voices I wasn't ready to listen to.

Where did I come from? These self-centered halfwits that only used the given money they had for personal pleasure, I honestly couldn't see where the mental similarities were. There had to at least be a few, right?

Apparently not.

I growled angrily through my teeth, stomped to my bed, falling face-first on it. Sighing, I felt a sharp stab at my eyes. It wasn't that I was crying, no it was a pain, a warning. Sometimes I got these, except when I first started getting these visions; I never did then. My arms started shaking, my legs twitched. This scared me. I barely stayed aware of myself when I went into visions for even a minute, and by what I did feel these things weren't pretty.

At least I could assure myself that this would be the last for a while, having two visions so close together. Usually I had a week at the soonest to prepare myself, not a day. I tried to suck in a deep breath before going under; I had long ago realized there was no use in trying to fight them. They came when they came, and I couldn't do anything about it.

Gritting my teeth, I turned my numb body until I was on my back, colours rolling across my vision. For a second, I couldn't breath. This whole process was very frightening, it seemed to be different every time. I couldn't predict what would happen when I got a vision, it varied too much.

A large, encasing wave of nausea swept over me, making me gag. Then all too soon, I had the opposite happen and a seeping, soothing feeling trickled through my body.

The world around me was gone, but the one I was only seeing through my mind's eye was all too real. The colours zooming past slowed and halted, then something rather odd happened. Instead of fading away like usual, they slowly shaped into the scene in front of me. A tree formed, sitting pleasantly among high grass, a lawn stretching out beyond. The back of the house wasn't familiar, but the colour might have been. I couldn't tell. As the world came more into focus, a tiny figure appeared sitting cross-legged underneith the tree; a small girl. She had long brown locks and clean, crisp white clothes. She ran a little hand over her doll's hair, staring down at it as if she were shy. But I knew she wasn't, she knew me. She knew the person sitting next to me, a girl I didn't know as of yet and one I couldn't see. I wasn't sure who the child was, but she knew me in the future and that was enough to understand.

"Come on hun..." My voice suddenly rang clear in my ears. She shook her head quickly, and it was obvious now she was pouting and being asked to do something she didn't want to. The me I was watching sighed, looked down and pulled his fingers through the grass.

I could almost feel the earthy blades underneith my skin, smell the musty scents, feel the blowing air that disheveled our hair and clothes.

"Okay..." The girl said in a voice too cute for her own good. She was all innocence and rainbows, the perfect image for a small girl her age. "Vi has a crush..."

Our heads snapped up at these words, mine and this girl's. I couldn't see who it was in my peripheral. But she didn't say anything to the kid, so I spoke up. "Oh? Yeah?"

She nodded, biting her lip. "Yuh huh. Crush, on you Dare Dare. Likes you"

She looked about to smile, but then she let out a tiny gasp and kept her eyes down, now worriedly combing her fingers through the doll's mop of hair. I just kept staring at her.

The girl next to me let out a long breath, scooting closer to the tree, facing me but not meeting my eyes. It was the girl from down the street, Asher's sister. They all had A names, Arianna? Her dirty blonde hair fell into her face, creating a shield as she picked pieces of grass into bits.

Not looking up, she muttered, "Children always say too much..."