Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Joanna

Abby Sciuto

    I clomped over to my iPod dock and pressed play.  Sighing as the loud rock music greeted my ears I spun myself over to the Mas Spectrometer and pressed a big blue button to begin testing. Gibbs wanted me to find out if Petty Officer Johnson was drugged.

       My favorite part of the song came on and I began to dance to it. "It's just fear afterall, it's only fear..."  I did a little spin and continued to dance. "To live, when you think you're dying!" "To laugh, when you feel like crying!"

    I started to sing along and do some of the dance moves the sisters taught me when I was a kid. I may not look it but I am farely gracefull for a girl with big feet, especially one who wears chunky boots. "Wooh!" the sound of clapping broke me from my concentrated state.

    "Abby, I had no idea you were so talented!" exclaimed Tony from my doorway. "Yeah, that was amazing Abbs." Timmy agreed. "Thanks guys." I said as I scurried over to my iPod and paused it.

     Tim walked over and handed me my favorite drink ever.  I smiled at him and took a big slurp. It had been a long night and I hadn't had a Caf Pow! for three hours which felt like thirty to me.

          "So, what are you guys doing down here? Gibbs was just here a little while ago." I asked inbetween slurps. "Yeah, we know. We're hiding from him. He's all pissed because Ziva hasn't shown up yet." Tony responded while wandering around my lab. "Ah, where is she anyway?" I responded curiously.

    Gibbs got pissed all the time, especially when one of us is late, but it wasn't like Ziva to be late. I was beginning to get worried. It had taken some time for me to warm up to her after Kate's death, but we have ended up really good friends.

        "I dunno, she won't pick up her phone and she's not at her place. She probably hasn't woken up from a good night of hanky panky yet." Tony answered with a twinkle in his eye. He always got that when he was acting this way.

        Normally I would laugh, but I was starting to think something hinky was going on here. I mean, it just didn't add up. Not to mention, I had a really weird dream last night.

          "Abigail dear, are you there?" came Ducky's voice through my video chat speakers. "Hey duck. What's up?" I siad smiling at his voice as I turned to look at the little screen. "I emailed you some prints from a body and I was hoping you could try to ID the poor girl." Ducky answered in his thick british accent. "Sure. Jane Doe?" I asked curiously. "Indeed, burnt beyond recognition. The only things unburnt are her teeth, forearms, right big toe, and right thumb. " he answered a look of sadness masking his face. "I'll call you when I have something." I said and hung up the video chat.

        I swiftly logged into my email and opened up the link to a document with the fingerprints that Ducky sent me. I began the search and walked over to Tony and McGee, who were playing a game on my other computer. I was about to scold them for getting on one of my babys' without my permission when a loud beeping alerted me to the fact that Afis had found a match.

         "That was fast." I said suspicously as I walked over and looked up at the screen. Dread and anguish filled me as I stared at the screen. No! No! No! I thought as I gasped and brought my hands to my face to smother a sob. Tears welled up in my eyes and began to fall leaving muddy tracks on my face from my makeup.

        Memories started to overwhelm my brain and I found myself feeling faint and dizzy. "What is it Abbs?" asked the worried voices of Tony and McGee. McGee... Timmy, I needed my Timmy. I found the strength to spin around and launch myself into his arms.

       He caught me and pulled me close to him. "Abbs, what's wrong?" McGee asked me as he rubbed my back. I didn't answer. I couldn't answer. I looked over Tim's shoulder at Tony, who now stood stalk still staring at the screen, a look of horror and disbelief covering his face.

        Timmy noticed his reaction and moved me over to my chair. After he gently pushed me onto the the seat he walked over to Tony's side and looked at the screen. "Oh no. Oh god... Ziva... no." he said slowly. Sadness and terror slowly spreading over his features.