Chapter Seventeen

Authors note - 

This chapter is very short, but I had to end it where I did. Please leave a comment, vote and like. Be honest, I have a feeling that my writing is getting worse and worse...

-Lilly

Chapter seventeen

Alice awoke to the imposing sight of a Neila, silhouetted in the doorway. Her first thought was that it was just another nightmare. The little sleep she did manage to get these days was riddled with them, but this seemed more vivid, darker, and somehow more real.

Her broken arm dangled from the huge metal generator she was bundled on top of, blankets splayed all around her. Her fingertips were numb and frozen, and as she pulled them up, she found that they were dripping with ice cold water.

Looking down from her perch, she could see that the whole basement was flooded, and the water was clear and deep.

Hazy light streamed in through the wide door, blocked by the dreaded figure.

‘Tyron,’ Alice said steadily, not taking her eyes from the doorway. ‘We need to get out of here, and fast.’

From a cupboard a couple of meters away, Tyron groaned loudly and then sat up forcefully.

‘What, what?’ he said, scrambling down and landing in the freezing water with a splash.

Alice did not need to say anything; Tyron’s eyes had already landed upon the Neila. Swearing loudly, he scrabbled around for something, anything, to fight with – but the Neila wasn’t moving. It just stood there, still and waiting.

‘The basement is filling up with water,’ he snarled, a deep growl rolling around his throat. ‘You will attempt to pass me or drown. Either way, I watch you die.’

‘Nice to meet you too,’ said Alice sourly, trying to form a plan in her head. She missed Miles, even though she would never admit it – he would have come up with a plan right about now.

Splashing into the cold water with a shudder, the girl made her way over to Tyron.

‘So he’s going to wait there until we drown?’

‘Looks like it.’

Alice debated various ways to kill the creature, finally deciding that locating a fire hydrant would be the safest option.

A vivid memory of that snowy night played out in her head and her next words were caught in her throat. She pointed to the ceiling behind her back, silent asking Tyron if they could go up and out.

Biting his lip, the boy clambered up onto the shelves, wondering how he was going to go about checking without the beast realizing what he was up to.

Grasping a cobwebbed bike that was handing precariously from a hook, Tyron swung it upwards. It crashed into the ceiling, which was solid.

Shaking his head, Tyron looked at Alice. She could see the panic in his eyes, but she was determined not to give up now. For Miles, for Willa, for everyone who had died because of Noah Jackson and the Neila.

Alice vowed that as soon as she was done with the Neila, she would go up the stairs and finish of the man herself.

For now, she needed to focus on getting out of the flooded basement, alive.

‘Right,’ Alice said sharply, ‘Plan?’

‘Let’s just get the fight over and done with. And if you see any fire hydrants…’ Tyron said, jumping back down and beginning to squint into the clear water, looking for anything that could be used as a weapon.