Chapter 8 - Suspicion

Over the next week PJ invited me out with him to the London Aquarium, Tower of London, the Sherlock Holmes Museum, Tate Modern and to the cinema. Three days we just stayed at his house playing video games, and he'd been getting better and better at sign language, and I'd been practising trying to speak, and I could make a croaky noise, but it was excruciatingly painful. I enjoyed spending time with PJ immensely. He treated me like a normal person. He didn't treat me differently because I didn't speak, and I loved him for that. 

PJ                                                                                                                                                                                    Dan, Phil, Chris and I are going to do a Game of Thrones marathon then have a 'manly' sleepover. Would like to join us? xx

I smiled as I read the text. My phone buzzing on my nightstand had woken me up, but for some reason I didn't particularly mind. I didn't think twice before replying. I'd much rather spend time with PJ than alone or with Scarlett.

I'd love to :) When do you want me to come over? xx

I could see the murky grey sky through the crack in my curtains, but even though the weather looked terrible, I felt happy. For one rare moment in my life I felt happy. I felt like I'd struck gold, like I'd just won the lottery, almost as happy as if I had my parents back. I felt like for once in my life I had a proper best friend. Someone who didn't treat me differently because I was different, someone who could make me smile, someone who looked out for me. PJ seemed like the lifeline I'd needed to start getting my life on the right track. My eyes flittered over to my desk in the corner of the room and the multiple sketches I'd recently done captured my eyes. PJ was fun to draw and if you got the angles right, it even captured his beauty. I'd drawn him many time, but I'd never show them to anyone.

I showered quickly, enjoying the warm water running over my body, then climbed out and dressed in a pair of blue denim skinny jeans, a white vest top under an oversized off-white knitted jumper and a pair of black and white converse. I combed through my wet brown hair and left it to dry naturally.I quickly packed a change of clothes, stuff to sleep in, my toothbrush, toothpaste and a few other essentials into my mustache backpack. I then grabbed my phone, seeing I had a reply.

PJ                                                                                                                                                                               I can come and pick you up in an hour? xx

He always insisted on picking me up, never me coming to him. I think he was worried I'd get hurt, ever since the incident on the platform. 

Are you sure? I know my way to yours by now :P xx

I was about to set my phone down, but got and instant reply.

PJ                                                                                                                                                                              No, I'll come and get you, don't worry :) xx

I sighed and shook my head but smiled and pushed my phone into the back pocket of my jeans. I wandered out of my bedroom, stepping over the squeaky floorboard because it made the most annoying noise ever and walked into the kitchen. 

I was rinsing out my mug of tea and placing the mug upside down the draining board when there was a knock at the front door. I instinctively smiled and turned to leave the kitchen when I saw Scarlett's bedroom door open through the kitchen door. I rushed out into the hallway and hurriedly signed to her.