Chapter 8

We'd reached the check-in counter, so he took his arm from around my shoulders and leaned over to sign us in.

I glanced around and stopped laughing.

Stacey was standing halfway down the path to the swimming pool, her arms folded so her elbows were sharp points at her side. Anna could practically feel her freezing glare from there.

This wasn't over. Stacey wanted Jake, and she thought Anna was the one standing in her way. The question was, what was Stacey going to do about it?

--

The good news was that the Advanced Tennis class was on a different set of courts, so Jake couldn't see how terribly Anna played. The bad news was that Sally was in Beginners with Anna, except she was good, and Anna really was terrible. Sally's swings were smooth and always connected with the ball. Anna kept letting go of the tennis racket by accident and nearly beaning the instructor with it. She was pretty sure that Sally was laughing at her, and that tales of Anna's incompetence would be traveling straight back to Stacey.

By Lunchtime, Anna's arms ached and her hair was sticking to her face. She was so relieved when the instructor let them go, she didn't even care that now she'd have to face Stacey and Jake again.

Anna showered quickly and was gathering her stuff when a voice said, "Hey!" behind her, and she jumped.

"Sorry to startle you," Sally said, bouncing on her heels. "I just wanted to say, don't worry, you'll get better. I was pretty bad when I started. I'm still not good enough for intermediate or Advanced."

Anna couldn't think on anything interesting to say. "Um, Thanks." she managed.

Sally kept looking at Anna, as if she was thinking, How did a girl like you snag Jake? Anna thought, I'll answer that if you can tell me why you agreed to be best friends with the scariest girl in school.

"Well?" Sally said.

"Well What?" Anna asked.

"Aren't you starving? Let's go to Lunch."

Let's? As in "let us"? Us? Me and Sally Kim? There's an us there?

Sally spun her racket impatiently and Anna quickly grabbed her bag with the lunch her mother had packed her. She followed Sally up the walkway to a bunch of picnic tables under the trees. The other Tennis for Teens campers were gathering around there, along with the  lifeguard training class from the pool and a group of basketball campers.

Jake was already sitting at a table, unwrapping his lunch. His hair was half-wet from the showers and drying in the sun, so it was kind of spiky and darker than usual. That day his T-Shirt was light blue, making his eyes even bluer. He saw Anna and waved.

"Wow," Sally said. "Did you see his face light up when he saw you? That's so cute. my boyfriend never looks that excited to see me."

Yeah. I guess Jake's a really good actor, Anna thought.

------------------------

Eeep! Sooo sorry guys!!! I haven't been able to update cause I'm in college now! So naturally, I have to study so I can make a living when college is over, I have to work full time jobs, to pay for student loans, car insurance, and my apartment, so I just haven't had any time for updating wattpad. I guess it's safe to say life is getting in the way, so I'm sorry about the short chapter, and I am looking to having another chapter up soon!(: