Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jack was sorting through the pile of wood behind the garage when Jess came outside.

“There you are. What are you doing?”

“Baking a cake. What does it look like I’m doing? I’m looking for wood to take round to Freddie’s. Here, hold this a minute.”

He gave her a length of 2x2 that was about twice her height. Luckily for Jess, it wasn’t heavy. “How are we going to get it round there? We can’t carry all this at once.”

‘All this’ was a pile of floorboards, more lengths of 2x2 and a couple of sheets of plywood that were about a metre and a half square. Jack didn’t really know how he would use them, or how he was going to secure it all together, but he was sure something would come to him once it was all laid out in the stable.

What he was certain of was that Jess and Freddie would not be ideal workmates, and that he would probably have to do all the planning and assembling. But that was fine. At least that way there would be fewer arguments.

“No, we can’t, but we can take it a few pieces at a time. Come on, it’s after nine. He said we could go round any time after then.”

Jack picked up a couple of floorboards, one under each arm, and walked round the side of the house, with Jess following carrying two pieces of 2x2. Jack looked back to see what she had, and thought, She’s right, this is going to take forever. Still, they didn’t have to do it all in one day. They had the whole of the holidays ahead of them.

As was the case the day before, the gate into the stable yard was open, so they walked in and put the wood against the wall of Freddie’s den, then went to the house to see if he was around. Jack knocked at the kitchen door and waited.

It wasn’t Freddie that opened the door. Jack was greeted with the prettiest smile he had ever seen, from the prettiest girl. She looked about nineteen, had blonde hair tied back into a pony tail, and was wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

He was in love.

“Hi, I’m Anna. You must be Jack, and you have got to be Jess. Freddie’s told me all about you. Come in.” She stepped to the side and gestured for them to enter.

Jess was in first, calling out for her namesake. “Jess, where are you? Are there you are. Hello.” And so she went on while Jack tried to untie his tongue.

“Freddie should be down in a minute,” Anna said, while he just stared at her. “I think he’s just brushing his teeth. Can I get you a drink? Have you had breakfast?”

“No. I mean yes. No thank you, I don’t want a drink and yes I have had breakfast. Thank you.” Come on Jack, pull yourself together.

“OK. Well sit down, don’t be shy. Tell me, where do you live? Locally, I guess.”

“Yes, just the other side of the woods. Not far really. How about you?”

“Well, I live here during the week while I’m working. I get weekends off, so I go home. My parents live in Butterham.”

He’d heard of the place, but as far as he was aware he’d never been there. Not that it mattered, he’d have plenty of chances to see her during the week.

He was both relieved and a little disappointed when Freddie came into the kitchen. “Hi, Jack. Hello Jess. Sorry, I didn’t realise you were here already. Come on, let’s go outside.”

“Nice to meet you,” Jack said as he followed Freddie outside.

“You too. I’ll see you later. Freddie said you’ll be here for lunch.”