Part Six: The Fall

I wheel myself down the starched white halls as fast as possible, doing my best to ignore my mother's panicked shrieks of "Katrina, wait! Come back, Kat!" I dodge past nurses and doctors like I've been doing it all my life, my eyes set on one sight only: the opening elevator doors. A few people file out and I hurry to take their place, closing the doors just in time to see my mother's frenzied face bobbing through the crowd. I punch the top button, the one labeled with an R.

I've made a decision: living without him is ten times worse than dying with him. The seconds tick by like hours as I ascend a few stories, and I can't think about what i'm about to do, and i can't think of anything at all, or else i'll chicken out, and I'm so frustrated, and I just want it all to be over. And soon it will be.

The doors slide open into a short hallway, with a single door at the end of it, propped open with a brick. A sign hangs on it, reading "Authorized Personnel Only," but I'm way beyond caring and just heave it open anyways. I vaguely notice a helicopter port to my left and vents to my left, but I'm mostly focused on the flat roof itself. Knowing I don't have much time before someone comes looking for me, I rush to the edge.

As soon as I look to the streets below, my stomach does a flip. My head spins at the sight of all the little cars, like HotWheels on a plastic race track, and the people, like little Lego men. I clasp my palm to my forehead, suddenly very dizzy and ill. But then it all rushes back to me, and I steel myself, gritting my teeth and clenching my fists, refocusing on what really matters: that I join Robin.

There's a four inch ledge along the roof, but I'm sure that if i got enough momentum I could hurtle over the edge easily. I go into reverse, backing up until I'm a good ten yards from the overhang. Wow, I can't even commit suicide without putting in extra effort, I think bitterly. I take a deep breath. And speed towards my death as fast as I can manage. 

"Katrina! What the hell?" I hear a familiar voice call after me, but I ignore it, making my mind go blank. "Kat! Don't do this!"

I don't really even know what happened next. Maybe I just came to my senses, realized my mistakes and miscalculations. Maybe the wind rushing through my hair and by my ears woke me up. Maybe it was simply the pure desperation I heard from a person typically so full of joy, so full of playfullness. I suppose it doesn't actually matter what it was, exactly. But something made me turn my wheels at the last second, a loud skidding noise resulting from the scrape of rubber against concrete. The momentum sent my chair tumbling over, and I braced myself for a fall, but none came. 

Instead, a pair of warm arms clasped my shoulders, and pulled me into a sitting position on the roof, a shocking reminder that my legs would forever remain motionless. 

"Kat, it's okay," My best friend Harmony whispered in my ear, resting her cheek on top of my head. "Calm down. Trust me, everything will be okay."

It was then that I realized that I was sucking in air so greedily my throat ached, and tears poured down my cheeks. It was hard to believe it was even possible to have enough water to produce all these tears. 

"Shh," Harmony hushed me, stroking my hair. I had no idea how she found me, but I sure as hell was glad that she had. "Everything is going to be okay."

And I wanted more than anything for her to be right. 

A/N Sorry this one was so short! I just really wanted to end it with the last sentence. I'm almost done with this short story, so the epilogue with be the next and final chapter! :( Well vote, comment, fan! Means a lot :)