❁ Breaking the Cinderella Rules

:) Hello, readers! This is Astrid speaking. Due to a contest, I was told to rewrite a Cinderella story. Here's the prologue. I hope you all enjoy it.

VOTE. COMMMET. FOLLOW :) <3

I love you all. Thank you for supporting Nerd Love. We're so close to 1000 reads :)

-A

Prologue – Red Roses and Blood

 CINDER

This is the end

Hold your breath and count to ten

Feel the earth move and then

Hear my heart burst again

-Skyfall (Adele)

Cinderella is stupid.

That’s what I used to think when I was little. Mom would always read me her favorite Disney tale, and I would always complain how stupid and unrealistic it was. Now, who would want to work for their stepmothers or help their stupid girly sister dress up? I would rather run away from home and live with my relatives. I mean, is Cinderella really an idiot? She should’ve just run to her aunts or other family members. I’m sure they’ll take her into their house.

My world was turned upside down when Mom died of cancer. I remembered myself crying as she smiled weakly in her hospital bed, and at the last minute, I read Mom her favorite story: Cinderella. It was when I said the end that she finally closed her eyes and went to another world.

I thought I would cry, but I was too shocked to cry after her death. My eyes didn’t work, and I ended up staring at her grave as our family cried. Dad gave his speech on how beautiful she was, and I told the crowd that she was the best irreplaceable mother ever.

When the funeral was over, people came to surround Dad and me. They gave us their condolences and some hugs. But it never did heal the wound in my heart. No matter how people try to sew it back together, I was already too broken. It was too painful to stick them together. I might as well leave it as it was.

As if the death of my mother wasn’t enough, Dad tried to calm me down with a new stepmother. At first, I was excited to have another mom, although I knew Mom could never be replaced. I first saw her when Dad invited me to join his date.

I met her: Tiana Roxanne. She had one other daughter named Allison Roxanne. When I first saw her, I found myself smiling. She looked almost like Mom. Her long blond hair ended in curls, and her long eye lashes accentuated her gorgeous blue eyes.

Her daughter, Allison, inherited her golden hair, but her eyes were chocolate brown. She smiled at me innocently when I sat at the dinner table. Dad asked me if I liked Tiana, and I told him that she looked like Mom. Tiana smiled and told me I was so sweet. I already liked her.

“You found the right girl, Dad!” I exclaimed, my smile widening.

Now I cursed that day I called Tiana my stepmother. How she faked that natural beauty and sugary attitude, I could never find out. She was hideous to the bones. Sometimes I thought she was the witch from Snow White. Mom always told me to stay away from the witch, and from then, I never ate red apples.

Tiana was worse than that witch. Due to business problems, Dad was gone most of the time, and I had to stay with Tiana and Allison alone in our house. After the marriage, I toured them around our mansion. Dad told me to make sure Tiana and Allison feel comfortable.