Part o1. - o1.

***Welcome to my new story, Beyond the Empyreal Stars!

Like it said at the beginning of the description, this is a science fiction retelling of Beauty and the Beast. This was my story for NaNoWriMo 2015, one I've been wanting to write for literally years. I've already started planning the sequel, which will more than likely be my NaNo story for this November.

The story is complete (and the longest one I've ever written) and I'll be editing and rewriting as I go, so I'll be uploading about three chapters at a time every weekend.  Parts 1 and 2 are the backstory of sorts, so part 3 is the where the retelling really begins.

I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did writing it!

Comment and vote!

And happy reading!

- Ansley***

Part o1.

o1.

The hit to the back of Odette's head was never supposed to hurt, but the force was enough to pitch her forward onto the steaming, red-brown earth. Her silver staff clattered beside her just as the alien's clawed foot pressed down into the center of her back. A gash on her forearm where its sharp nail cut across her skin oozed with silver blood and dripped to the earth below, a sharp contrast in color. When her eyes passed over it, finding her staff, the skin began to stitch back together, closing the wound.

Grinding her teeth together and reaching as far as she could, the tips of her fingers brushed against the metal. The pressure increased and so did her reach. Fingers wrapping around the staff, she pushed up, throwing the alien off balance as she pulled her legs under her. With one good swing, the silver staff sparked with electricity and cut across the holographic alien's chest. It exploded in a flurry of pixelated dust.

The dark, thick forests of an unknown planet with four aliens who were intent on killing her for killing their leader disappeared, replaced with the white walls of the simulation room.

"Sorry to disturb you, Paragon," the female voice said just as the holographic screen blinked into the air above the stone.  

Odette huffed out a breath.  "That is fine, Evangeline.  Is something wrong?"

Her personal artificial intelligence system paused, processing her question.  "You have one priority message from Prime One.  She would like you to please read as soon as possible."

Sighing, she twisted the silver staff in the air, feeling the metal morph under her touch until it slid around her wrist, forming the braided band of her comm braclet.  The clear crystal, which had been at the top of her staff, was now in the center, glowing.  The holographic screen blinked into the air above it.  Reaching up, she hovered her finger directly over the message icon, feeling the distortion in the air.  As her finger pressed against it slightly harder, a ping sounded and the message opened.

"Read aloud or not?"

"Not," she responded as her eyes began to scan over it. 

You are being called to the Spire for a meeting with the Primes.  You, as Paragon, are to be the only one to know about this for the time being, as we have not breathed a word to the other Guardians.  Once everything is in order, the news of what is to come will go out. 

Please arrive at the Spire one hour and to the Gallery for the meeting.

We will be awaiting your arrival.