Prologue

"Excuse me, Miss." The doctor said coming into my room, and standing by my hospital bed.

"Yes? W-What did the tests say?" I whisper. My throat feeling dry, probably because i have been too nervous to eat or drink anything all day.

"Well there's good news, and bad news."

Good news.

Bad news.

Theres always good news and bad news.

When i was a little girl my mom used to tell me when you had to pick whether to hear something good or something bad first, pick the something bad. then after you get the bad news the good news will be there to cheer you up!

I never really understood it though, but that's because i never really understood my condition.

I never knew why i couldn't go on all the trips my friends went on.

I never knew why i couldn't go on vacation like all my friends.

I never knew why all my friends could eat any food they wanted, and i couldn't.

"Its not good for you sweetie!"

"But maaa! Everyone else gets to! Why can't I?"

That usually just ended up with me crying, running up to my room, and my dad buying me ice cream later on.

"What's the bad news?" I say, barely audible.

"Well, the bad news is, your cancer hasn't been getting any better. I'm truly, truly sorry to inform you miss, you only have 40 days to live."

"Oh..oh my god.." i whisper.

I put both hands on my cheeks, and realise that i'm already crying.

No.

I cant cry.

I promised myself i wouldn't cry.

I promised myself i would stay strong.

I have to!

"I'm deeply sorry." he said as he gently placed his hand on my shoulder, almost as if i was a piece of glass. Like i would break into pieces if he touched me to hard.

I wipe away all my tears, and sit up straight on the bed.

"Wh- what's the good news?" i stutter.

"You see," he started

"We have actually just received these pills that are made especially for your type of cancer.

Basically, you should take one every morning for your last 40 Days, and it will take away all of the symptoms of your cancer, so you could live your life as usual.

Your hair won't fall out, you won't have any chest pains, and the pill will make sure you have energy throughout the day. Nobody will even know about your illness, except you of-course.

You know, if you want to keep it a secret, and keep going to school, and living your life as usual."

A double life? A secret that nobody knows but me?

Woah this is some Hannah Montana type shit.

Except for the whole famous pop star part.

"Uh- uhm okay. Y-yeah that's good. i'll take a bottle of those please. Just charge it to my hospital bill."

***
Sophia.