Chapter 9: Italian Business

After being with Debbie 24/7 I needed a break. I'm sure she needed one too, so I decided to go home, of course only after I knew the leaders would be in a meeting, with Alpha Christopher. I took all my clothes back home to wash, as an excuse for us to have some time apart, and so I could remember what my mother's cooking tasted like. Don't get me wrong, Mrs. Rinaldo is a wonderful cook, but there is nothing like eating your mother's food after a week and a half of not being home.

The house was almost empty for once. No Dad or boys or Theodores. I tried to walk in quietly, but Mom hates being alone, so she notices you coming home from a block away.

"I knew you'd come back!" I heard her happy shout from upstairs. I dragged my bag up there, to the laundry room without a reply. She knew where I would be anyways. Surely enough she strolled in on me tossing underwear into the wash with her yellow apron on. "I made peach crostata or if you want, there's some left over hamburgers and left over risotto in the fridge."

I smiled. "No burgers! We had those night before last, plus me and Debbie eat them a lot at the diner."

She quickly left to make me a plate as I put the last of my clothes in the machine, pushed some buttons and threw the bag on top. I smelled the room. It smelled sort of like Old Spice and lavender. Home sweet home!

I bounced down the stairs, hearing my mom sing Johnny Cash. I know I said she loves her Italian crap, she was reheating risotto, but she was also an American, and this American loved her some Johnny Cash. I sat at the bar between the kitchen and the dining room. My mom turned around with the hot plate in her hand and jumped.

"Don't sneak up on me like that!" My mother reprimanded me. I giggled and scooped a big forkful of risotto, making me burn my mouth in the process. "Karma! What have I always said about karma?"

I breathed out like a dragon until the food in my mouth cooled off and I could swallow. "Karma's a bitch."

She laughed heartily and leaned on the counter in front of me. "Hm... I think we need to discuss the elephant in the room."

My throat dried up.

"Can I have a drink?" She scurried about the kitchen to get me a cup, then poured me some wine. "Ma, it's eleven!"

"What and you can't drink? You can drink all night but not with your mother?" She held out the glass. I frowned but took it anyways and sipped. She poured herself a glass. "Tell me, what does Alpha Theodore think of your situation?"

I choked on my risotto and took a big gulp of wine. "Mom! What are you talking about, crazy!"

"Don't play stupid with me!" She smirked, "I knew I felt a strong bond when Mickey and Debbie cored-nobody leaves a strong buzz in the room after connecting!  When you and your man unite in one core, that feeling grows inside you, but shrinks outside you. He was a foolish man to marry."

"Mom," my throat hitched making me sound weaker. She squeezed my outstretched hand. "Trust me, it's better this way. Those kids need a father."

"Did he tell you this? Huh?" I bit the inside of my cheek.

"It's our unsaid agreement," I replied without looking at her. "You know things will work out in the end anyways."

"Hmph," she grunted. "After this bloody war is done and he's dead? Then you'll be left like his wife."

"He loves her and this children, I will not take that away from them! Just trust me on this one, Mom," I begged with a pleading face.

"This is going to end badly," she closed her eyes and sighed.