Chapter 3: Crunching Carrots

Sitting in front of my jewelry making desk I admire my newest work. Silver rope chain with a row of pearls on either side of the shimmery sand dollar and three miniature shells on each end of the necklace. I turn it, and the masterpiece catches the sunlight coming through my open window perfectly.
I put it on my neck, and trade my tangerine bathing suit for a purple spaghetti strap and khaki capris.
I go into the kitchen to grab a snack, unaware that I am being watched. I pull out a container of baby carrots and start to munch.
Then I see him. A boy, around my age, (16) staring right at me through the window, perfectly still. He has sand colored hair and startling mint green eyes. He wears a plain white t-shirt and on his wrist is a rope. Dangling from it is a sand dollar - with a sparkling silver tint to it. I scream. Once he realizes I see him, he ducks, revealing a younger girl, around 13, wearing a beret in her hair with (guess what?)the mystical sand dollar on it. Her hair is the same color, but with blue streaks in her hair. Her eyes are blue.
That's not all. At first glance, she looks the same, possibly his sister, same clothes, but if you look carefully you notice something unusual. There is a silver dagger in her hand.
I scream louder, and she ducks as well.
"What is it Kel?" Jace yells, running and tripping down the stairs. I get up and open the screen door to the back porch. The leftover sand on the porch itches my bare feet.
"Hello?" I call.
No reply.
"But there was...people...I saw..."
"Sheesh, Kel. Are you out of your mind?"
"Shut up, Jace. I know what I saw."
"Whatever 'big sis'"
"I told you not to call me that. It makes me feel fat!"
"I'm going inside."

I stare into my empty backyard. I know what I saw.